Search the forum,

Discuss Noisy boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Halibut

Hi. I recently moved into a new house, which has a vented c/h system with Potterton FSB 30 HE system boiler. The problem is that the boiler makes a loud whining noise when the heating is on. I had Potterton out under warranty, and they changed the fan and added some chemical cleaner, but to no avail, and concluded that it is build up in the heat exchanger causing the noise, and I need to flush the system, which isn't covered. I was surprised because the boiler is only about 12 months old, the radiators all heat up OK, the system was flushed when it boiler was installed and inhibitor added (according to the documentation they left, anyway), and the water runs crystal clear from the drain cock. But there you go.

So I would appreciate some advice on my best DIY option. Should I:

a. Remove the heat exchanger and de-scale / clean it out separately. If so, what is best to use?
b. Shut off all but one radiator, add DS40 and run for a while, the idea being to clean out the heat exchanger without needed to flush the whole system?
c. Add DS40 to the whole system, run it for a while then drain and refill a few times, or
d. Add DS40 to the whole system, run it for a while then flush using mains pressure (having capped the expansion outlet in the header tank)?
e. Something else altogether?

The reason I don't particularly want to flush the whole system is that, as said, the water seems clear and the radiators all work efficiently, so I am presuming that I am suffering from premature scaling of the heat exchanger rather than a general sludge problem. I could be wrong.

Any other suggestions would be gratefully received. The noise, incidently, is not primarily your typical kettle type noise (though there is a bit of that), it is more a fairly high pitched but variable whine. And loud. You would have thought it was a pump or a fan or something. It goes away a bit once the system is up to temperature, and gets much better if I turn the thermostat on the boiler down. But then of course the radiators aren't so hot.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

havent a clue as im not there to listen and diagnose the noise source, call in a decent gsr techie to fault find it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Noisy boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, hope someone can help with this. My central heating system has a Worcester gas combi boiler, paired with a nest thermostat and a megaflo cylinder. When the boiler starts in the morning, the radiators start to warm up ok, but this is accompanied by a loud whining of the pipes attached to the...
Replies
Views
Hi I have recently bought a house which is 17 years old. There was a small leak from one of the radiators So I took the pipe off and drained the radiator and the water was black/brown. I took the radiator off and flushed it out with a hose pipe out the garden but it's got me thinking and I...
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
I got a problem with my boiler,it's got some vibration when it starts to work,it doesn't fire up unless I duck tap and blank half of the air intake,I checked if its enough voltage to the gas valve its 22v dc going from pcb to it exactly what it says on the gas valve,checked fan seams to work k I...
Replies
Views
I have an older gas boiler HW heating system with a taco circulator pump for each zone that worked fine last season. When turning it on for the 1st time this season I found a problem with the boiler not running on one of the zones. If I turn on the heat to zone 1 I hear the system...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock