Search the forum,

Discuss New glow worm gas boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi just had my old baxi back boiler replaced for a glow worm energy 18s system boiler which seems to be working well. However I have noticed the burner is always burning when it is on via the timer. Is this normal for a condensing boiler as I have not had one before.

Shouldn't be anything to worry about, it will have a modulating burner, so while it seems to be constantly running it will probably be on a very low burner.

Do you have a room thermostat? It will be worth making sure the boiler goes off when the hot water and heating gets up to temperature? This will prove that the controls are wired correctly.

I hope this is helpful

You need to look and see what temperature the boiler is set at, if to low boiler will keep burning, also has pointed out when boiler was replaced did the other controls get updated ?? e.g. room stat/cylinder stat, did you have any of the radiator valves replaced ?

It is set at 60 degrees C and using the original timer and radiator valves, no room star was installed. When it is starting it is at full power and once up to temp it goes to reduced power but always on and blowing steam from flue. I am used to boilers going on and off maybe just new technology.

Then you need to call back your installer, not fitting a room stat means nothing is controlling boiler and you are wasting money, and new install does-not comply to regs, unless you requested that a room stat NOT be fitted, and what is controlling hot water temperature ?? Have a look what your installer has written in the Benchmark section of installation book, Also has boiler been registered with gas safe ? if not then you will-not get a building compliance certificate, this will make selling your property difficult if you want to move, and could result in problems with your house insurance ! Was installer registered with gas safe ? or is this a DIY install ??

Yeah he is on the gas safe register, spoke to him, he advised that the boiler gets up to temperature then stays at a low flame to keep it constant, which in theory means lower gas bill. I mentioned the room stat as he did say prior that it is current practice to fit them, he said it was not in stock at the time and will come back to fit it. The hot water tank has a stat and I assume a motorised valve. Is it standard for him to register it with gas safe, not thinking about moving just now but you never know.

Stop and think what he is telling you ! Boiler never switch's off so it saves gas ! How does that work ? To say a room stat is not in stock is total BS these are available anywhere, YES he has to register your boiler, it is a requirement, Ring 0800 408 5577 and check out your installer. Not sure he knows what he is talking about, if you can double check what you have in your airing cupboard, or include some photos, Did he fill out the Benchmark section, in the installation book & leave it with you ??? and has boiler been registered with Glow-Worm for your warranty ?? If your installer is not Gas Safe it will invalidate your warranty and possibly your House insurance

Last edited:
he filled in the Benchmark Section and registered my warranty with Glow-Worm and left the read outs from the tests he did. Is that not what a modulating boiler does, keeps the water at a constant temp rather than letting it cool down so far just to fire up again and using more gas to get back up to temp. I knew the room stat was BS and a mistake or oversight by him.

Think about this, if I leave the engine on my van running 24/7 to keep it warm will it use more fuel or less ??? in answer to your question NO it not what a modulating does, ROOM stat will turn off boiler Gas & electric when room is at set temperature, that will save you money, not having it burning 24/7 Ring Glow-worm they will explain, and ask about there view on room stat, it is BAD practice not to fit one

I see you point however I am wanting to keep the house warm, so whether the boiler is on low or firing up in periodically to keep the radiators warm is a question which uses more gas. The old Baxi never had a room stat either so whats the difference. BTW its only on during the timer periods its not on 24 hours a day. He is coming to fit room stat so lets see what happens, I guess it only works for that specific room that is up to temp, other rooms could be freezing.

Clearly you don't understand the best and most efficient way of running your heating system, is your house well insulated ? do you have Thermostatic radiator valves fitted ? Waste of time having a High efficiency boiler if you don't upgrade controls, Your installer should have explained all of this to you, are you sure that you got the best advise ? how long has he been installing boilers ?

If rads are properly balanced, temperature at room stat will relate to temperature in other rooms. TRVs will prevent other rooms becoming too hot. Remove head of TRV from rad in room with stat. Once up to temp. it is unlikely your boiler will modulate to a sufficiently low output to just balance heat losses. Unless outside is zero and you open windows.

If rads are properly balanced, temperature at room stat will relate to temperature in other rooms. TRVs will prevent other rooms becoming too hot. Remove head of TRV from rad in room with stat. Once up to temp. it is unlikely your boiler will modulate to a sufficiently low output to just balance heat losses. Unless outside is zero and you open windows.

Seem to think or so they have been told, that its better if boiler never turns off, uses less gas, don't think they have TRVs fitted.

That's why I am here looking for advice, all radiators have TRVS apart from the one at front door. I will assume he is telling me the truth when he says it will be burning at low flame to keep constant. It is set at 60 degrees anyone know if this is an okay setting or should it be higher or lower

i personally wouldn't advise setting anything over 70c as your not going to get the full benefits of having a condensing boiler. If it's balanced correctly you should have around 20c difference on the return, if your return temperature is above 55c then it won't condense and you will lose all the latent heat straight out the flue

The boiler is set at 60 degrees C which I have left, back to my original query, when heating water the boiler burner switched off okay when the tank gets to the required temperature, I also turned all the TRVs to off one night to see what happened, the boiler burner switched off, however turned all TRVs to number 2 boiler continues to be constantly on a burn cycle during the timer period. BTW my house was built around 1900 and it is not the best insulated house. So do you think the boiler is working correctly or is there a wrong setting or something.

If TRVs are old and knackered they may not even be working correctly and only functioning as on or off.
Where is the room stat located? If it's set to say 20degrees but it's in an open area e.g hallway with stairway it may never be reaching 20degrees in that area which is making it run the whole time

You don't seem to be getting the answers that you expect, you have been given plenty of advise but don't seam any further ahead, Why not just get your installer back or get Glow-Worm out to see what is going on with your system !!!!

I don't think there is a roomstat from the previous posts. Glowworm will charge ÂŁ90 because there is no boiler fault. It has to
be external controls or lack of causing the issue. Could also be that a link has been left in the boiler which should have been removed when fitting the external controls.

Best thing is to explain all of your concerns to your installer and get them back to check it all over.

Installer is supposed to be calling back to fit a room stat ! but don't think its been done yet !! Think your right about the link being left in, be useful if they could put up some photos

Looks Ok When is room stat being fitted ? Take it the middle white pipe has the power cable inside

Surprising that they'd go to such lengths with the install which doesn't look bad and then not fit a stat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New glow worm gas boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
Does anyone know where I can find the decibel rating for the British Gas 330+ boiler? I'm looking to get it replaced and wanted to compare it against the Glow worm energy 18r or 25r boilers (18W or 25W) or does anyone have any experience of these two models in terms of how noisy they are?
Replies
Views
The flue for a glow worm micron 30ff is apparently obsolete but there must be other flues that would fit it surely, it's just a standard 100mm horizontal flue right? I mean when a bg gas engineer tells you that you'll have to change the whole boiler as well because you can apparently no longer...
Replies
Views
Just been to a nightmare of a job! Had to carry out a service on the 2009 British Gas 330 + (GC: 41-019-11) It's a Glow Worm boiler. The boiler was flashing SE even before I arrived, which I assumed the service reminder needed resetting. After completing the service I contact Glow Worm to...
Replies
Views
10 months ago had a new Glow-Worm gas boiler installed in our bungalow. It failed nearly a month ago when a gasket internally in the HW feed cct to internal pump that appears to have been installed out of position leaked water over the pump and main electronics board and through the bathroom...
Replies
Views
So I've got a Glow Worm back boiler fronted by a gas fire, at least 15 years old probably a lot more. The water heating makes a row as there is a partial blockage in one of the pipes - this I believe to be resolvable with a power flush and pump replacement. The front fire is spilling fumes and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock