Search the forum,

Discuss new gas safe operative in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dness78

Hi all new to this forum. I am a newly qualified gas safe engineer and am finding it IMPOSSIBLE to get going in the industry ,have done a few bits and pieces , but no where near enough to pay off what ive spent , seems like the training centres are the only ones making big money by selling these courses full of empty promises , sorry to be negative guysbut any advice would be much appreciated

:D welcome to the world of gas

It is true. And to have a go yourself you need 1000s for tools and transport etc

Hi & welcome, when you say newly qualified do you mean you have done the gas course at collage or are you now registered with Gas Safe ?? cos if not then get ready to put your hands in your pocket again for more paying out. Getting started will depend on where you are and how much completion you have in your area, its a hard slog, some people do very well very quick, the majority struggle to make a living

hi mate,

well done on the acs, my advice would be to register with some sites like my hammer, rated people etc and start doing some gas work for very little profit or loss leaders if you will.
i joined a site a few months ago and did work for next to no profit for a month and now i do very well out of them. i also work for a firm so use the sites to supplement my evenings and weekends as i do plan to go fully self employed in the coming years but you need to have customers to go self employed and these sites help get your name out there.
hope this helps

john

Its not easy starting out when you've less experience in the field. Do u do plumbing as well ?

hi mate,

well done on the acs, my advice would be to register with some sites like my hammer, rated people etc and start doing some gas work for very little profit or loss leaders if you will.
i joined a site a few months ago and did work for next to no profit for a month and now i do very well out of them. i also work for a firm so use the sites to supplement my evenings and weekends as i do plan to go fully self employed in the coming years but you need to have customers to go self employed and these sites help get your name out there.
hope this helps

john

But will they take him on if he is NOT gas safe registered ??

Hi all and thanks for helpful replies , in answer to questions , yes i am on the gas safe register thing is im 45 and thinking to myself is it possible / worth it ?

Hi all and thanks for helpful replies , in answer to questions , yes i am on the gas safe register thing is im 45 and thinking to myself is it possible / worth it ?

Well you've made it this far ! don't give up now, its taken time & money don't throw it away, as your GS registered that will make things easer, take it you have your own Reg number ? or are you down as a operative working for someone else, this will limit you a little, if you have your own number you can sign up with no end of agency's and gain more experience + build up some contacts, at 45 you still have 25 to go, don't expect to earn a fortune , but you will make a living out of it, Good luck.

like everything it takes time to build a client base and get off the bottom rung. Too late now but starting in plumbing to gain some knowledge then moving to gas would have helped, but local advertising mags was all I used along with wom. paying out to web advertisers is a bit pointles imho if you are competing with others who have more experience and are willing to drop prices, it all becomes a race to the bottom.

However starting small and getting by with doing any job be it painting even will get you known. You wont have knowledge of servicing or breakdowns to be able to go for that side. Installations are your main option, but getting it right is still an issue! To get round your lack of knowledge you need some mentors to advize you, if you can find some to hook up with.

You can make it, but it is hard work, best done slowly and with help... I started in my 40s still going .. just but have specialized in areas others prefer to avoid to survive

Welcometo the world of gas where the going rate on contract for llsc is £18 for three appliances and must do 10 a day .

More money in plastering !!!

Thanks , i am already plumbing but really struggling with knowledge of boiler breakdowns as that is where the money seems to be .any thoughts guys ? Books ? Courses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to new gas safe operative in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, need your honest views if you would be so kind. I’m 48 and work for the NHS (office based) and earn 44k a year. Ive been do fustrated and fed up in my work for so long that I’ve enrolled to do my gas safe and become an engineer. I know it’s hard work but I’m really excited and I’d love to...
Replies
Views
Hi. I have just qualified as a registered gas safe engineer I am keen to work with someone who is more experienced for the first year or so to learn more about identifying faults ect (ideally based in SE London). I can be available at short notice for ad hoc work (It doesn't need to be a...
Replies
Views
Just browsing the threads and this one here // www .plumbersforums. net /threads /bldg-regs-compliance-interlock.103043/ caught my eye. 1. If a GS registered installer installs a new boiler that does not meet the standards of the Commissioning Checklist, but signs it off anyway, what is to be...
Replies
Views
I am about to start a training course to become Gas Safe qualified. As part of the training I am required to work with a Gas Safe engineer and for them to sign my portfolio. I appreciate to start with I may be a slight hindrance, however in return for this I will offer my labour for free. I...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, I am considering retraining as a gas safe engineer through enrolling on a course that includes 5 weeks of classroom learning, arranged work placement to complete an onsite portfolio and ACS assessments. The course will cost £6k. I'm 34, currently employed full time as a mechanical...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock