Search the forum,

Discuss New day new problem! in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all, continuing saga, I connected a temporary tap to the stopcock tap but have a leak!
I'm sure I have the wrong part but maybe someone can tell me what I need from City Plumbing...
So it's a female thread in the tap, in my box of bits I have male to male adaptors which then allowed me to fit a 22mm compression and tap. Trouble is the male to male adaptors don't seal and no matter what I try with ptfe tape or paste they leak. I think its because they have no shoulder on them?
Hopefully the picture loads up and you can see me holding the fittings I screwed together and the leak!
Anyway, thanks for any help.
Cheers
Paul.
20200516_152857.jpg

nothing to do with shoulder nobody makes a tapered thread anymore so the nipple doesn't tighten use some loctite not sure which number its expensive though or use the loctite thread better than tape

I have tried ptfe tape as thick as I can, both sides of the nipple with same result, leaks!
I have also tried ptfe paste, no good.
Loctite you say GasMK1?
It may be leaking because our water pressure is 6 bar?
Anybody link me to the correct product to seal this?
Thanks
Paul

Ref. Gas Mk1’s advice. Clean all the tape off the threads and use one bead of Loctite 577 applied around the second thread to the open end - you can use more if you like, but you won’t need it. It will instantly seal to at least 2 bar and full strength in 24 to 72 hours.

If you want it to cure faster you can use the activator SF7240 ( I think that is the reference number) - unlikely to need that though for mains water at 6bar

Thanks for all suggestions, the tap is temporary so whatever I need to use has to be reversible?
As an aside, the nipples I used all look identical but some don't fit the tap thread.
Are there two similar sized threads as used on 22mm compression fittings?

Hi all, continuing saga, I connected a temporary tap to the stopcock tap but have a leak!
I'm sure I have the wrong part but maybe someone can tell me what I need from City Plumbing...
So it's a female thread in the tap, in my box of bits I have male to male adaptors which then allowed me to fit a 22mm compression and tap. Trouble is the male to male adaptors don't seal and no matter what I try with ptfe tape or paste they leak. I think its because they have no shoulder on them?
Hopefully the picture loads up and you can see me holding the fittings I screwed together and the leak!
Anyway, thanks for any help.
Cheers
Paul.
View attachment 43749
I'd go for the suggestions you have on the loctite.

I'm a bit confused by the pics though. In your hand you have two fittings, a hex BSP nipple screwed into a female BSP to 22mm compression, but only PTFE on the side you intend to screw into the tap. Why no PTFE between the two parts?

For the tap why had plain nipple been used. With no hex you can't make sure each side is tight ?

With BSP seal is on the threads.

PTFE tape needs experience to use on BSP, to guess the number of turns. I would guess I'd need three attempts min (count the turns).

For BSP traditionally there are straight and tapered versions. Perhaps the one you have is not BSP or poor tolerance.

Loctite sounds best for your temp app.

Hope you have made progress, or parked and now enjoying a drink.

Cheers,

Roy
[automerge]1589657747[/automerge]
I'd go for the suggestions you have on the loctite.

I'm a bit confused by the pics though. In your hand you have two fittings, a hex BSP nipple screwed into a female BSP to 22mm compression, but only PTFE on the side you intend to screw into the tap. Why no PTFE between the two parts?

For the tap why had plain nipple been used. With no hex you can't make sure each side is tight ?

With BSP seal is on the threads.

PTFE tape needs experience to use on BSP, to guess the number of turns. I would guess I'd need three attempts min (count the turns).

For BSP traditionally there are straight and tapered versions. Perhaps the one you have is not BSP or poor tolerance.

Loctite sounds best for your temp app.

Hope you have made progress, or parked and now enjoying a drink.

Cheers,

Roy
Apologies, just correct one thing:

If the tap had s male BSP, such as a sink tap, you could connect to it with a tap connector, which had a sealing washer which does seal against the end of the thread. More my sort of skill level.

Cheers,
Roy

Last edited:
Roy thanks, it is a hex nipple, just covered with ptfe tape in the middle!
Its 3/4" sized thread so no tap connector I suppose?
Multiple recommendations for the loctite so that sounds like the way to go?
Someone please tell me, does it have to be left overnight to set?

No, it should be ok after 15mins - don’t over tighten the joint - Loctite seals the treads so no need to use muscle.

My guys like it - no return visits for seeping joints. I just wish it was cheaper!

Last edited:
Roughen up the thread a little, put plenty of tape on.
( make sure you are putting the tape on the correct way / direction )
Put a smear of lubricant on the tape and on the female thread of the tap.

I've used PTFE on 3/4 threads which were tested to 20 bar and they never leaked.

What supply pipe are you using? If its MDPE why didn't you just use the correct tap for the pipe? to copper or what ever you are using above. Don't forget the drain off.

I tried ozzy plumbers idea of roughing up the threads with a wire brush, I used ptfe paste in both threads and ptfe tape over the male nipple. It was dry for about an hour and then started weeping, again!
I have ordered the loctite....

Ok, Loctite has arrived, so to use this I understand it's a single bead on the thread?
So can someone tell me wheres best on the thread to place the bead and how long should I leave it to cure?
Hope this works, it was £25!

The deed is done, after so many problems I have set the nipple and the compression body at the same time and will leave this a couple of days.
If I don’t update this thread then it worked!
Thanks all.
Paul

Reply to New day new problem! in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock