Search the forum,

Discuss New combi fitted, how to fix noisy pipes in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

changed from a gravity feed boiler system to a combi boiler and had problems with noisy pipes? About 4 weeks ago now had a new combi boiler installed, and from day 1 had noises from the heating pipes even though not on. Thought I was just up grading to a more modern space saving cost efficient running system didn’t realise I was going from a low pressure system to a high. Anyhow from day 1 I’m getting tapping and clicking noises from central heating pipes even though there not on and it’s all round the house. It’s keeping me a awake at night hardly getting any sleep, does anybody have any ideas of how to fix this? Its fairly faint in the day what with other daily noises drowning it out but at night its SOOO annoying. To me it sounds like a dripping but been 4 weeks now and no sign of water anywhere plus read the meter at night and checked again next morning still same, could be air in the system but I’ve bleed the radiators also turned the stop tap off and run taps till stopped still got the noise. On the first day of install the old system was taken out and cold water was running from the mains, I heard the noises that night, the next day the boiler was fitted so I’m sure it’s not the boiler more the pipes, I’ve had severn trent check the water pressure in the area as from day 1 the cold tap started leaking and a downstairs toilet kept dripping after should shut off so water went into overflow, 4 days later upstairs toilet did the same and recently washer machine water feed leaked but been told pressure in area 1.9bar. Will be ever so greatful for advise / help in this matter?

You are now putting 2bar pressure through pipes that until now have only had 0.2 to 0.5 bar.
Noise could be from compression joints creaking, pipes rubbing where they pass through floors/joists/stud work - you’ve had quite a lot of your pipework altered don’t forget, so things could be misaligned now.
Ie tank taken out of loft and alterations made due to this. If it’s a problem, get back whoever did the work.

You are now putting 2bar pressure through pipes that until now have only had 0.2 to 0.5 bar.
Noise could be from compression joints creaking, pipes rubbing where they pass through floors/joists/stud work - you’ve had quite a lot of your pipework altered don’t forget, so things could be misaligned now.
Ie tank taken out of loft and alterations made due to this. If it’s a problem, get back whoever did the work.
Hi Ben-gee, thank you for your comment. Ive contacted the installer to say i could hear what sounds like dripping this was first week of install he came out said couldnt find anything wet by looking at walls and going in the loft and said couldnt hear the noise so nothing he can do. I had him back to insert new fitting in two toilets as was overflowing he said nothing to do with his work just coincidence so charged for that job said about noise again and he said doesnt know what could be. Then had him back early this week to fix washer leak, turns out just a washer and stated again coincidence and also got him to do the final toilet, at no point has he mentioned about pressure difference causing issues. Where can i go / what can i do from here to resolve??

Whilst none of it is his fault, it’s entirely predictable and he should have warned you this can happen.

Valves/washers/diaphragms that are getting on a bit but able to hold back 0.2 bar will often fail when 2 bar is put through them.

Yes it is chargeable work, had you been warned it wouldn’t have felt so bad, equally one wouldn’t just replace things immediately as if everything is in good condition it wouldn’t be necessary.

From here, see if you can pinpoint where noises are coming from then get him back to check.
As you have a water meter and have checked this - it would appear there is no leak on the hot/cold side of things.
Could be a central heating leak, disconnect filling loop and track pressure gauge reading when cold over a few days if it’s stable unlikely to be a leak.

The dripping sound with no evidence can just be pipes rubbing in tight holes/notches as water moves or pipes expand/contract. All you can do with this is hunt around for where pipes pass through floors/walls etc and ease holes or wrap pipes as required. Could also need extra clipping in some areas.
Your eyes/ears are best here.
Although if noises are new, start looking in areas of alteration ie where tank taken from loft and cylinder taken from airing cupboard.

Happy hunting.

Obviously you can get a plumber to do the above for you, but if you narrow it down yourself first it will be quicker/cheaper for him/her to sort out.

Reply to New combi fitted, how to fix noisy pipes in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock