Search the forum,

Discuss New boiler location - shared drive in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I am changing my kitchen and thinking of moving the boiler to the garage on a side wall, the flue would vent out to a shared driveway with 4 other houses, the closest house is a few meters away. The side wall of the garage ends straight onto the shared drive, there is no grass or border or anything like that, my gas and electric meters are on this wall. My question is can the flue exit onto a shared drive, I’m coming to the conclusion that I can’t but the shared drive does allow me access to the side of my house and will never be built on.

I am will get a gas safe engineer out, I want to pre-empt options beforehand with the kitchen layout.

Thanks,

Who owns the drive? If someone else owns the drive but you only have access then you cannot legally vent your fumes over the land. If you share ownership of the drive then it’s up for discussion with the co-owners.

In fact a flue opening over land that is not yours is a trespass and unless your neighbours sign a fullly prepared legal document you could at any point be made to remove it. The cost of such an agreement when the neighbours legal costs are included (you will have to pay theirs) might well exceed the cost of the boiler. Get a boiler that has a vertical flue option Centralheatking

Thanks for your inputs.

Centralheatking, doesn’t seem like a viable option with that cost, does a vertical flue get around it or would it still need legal agreement?

edit, I think I understand now, the vertical flue would terminate through a roof, there is a bedroom above the garage so that isn’t an option. Back to the drawing board with the kitchen lol, at least I’m more informed now

Last edited:
Can other cars park outside your house?
If you mean in that particular spot then yes a car could park there.

i think I’ll ask building control, should get a straight answer then. I don’t want to have to get permission from my neighbours as you never know what might happen in the future, if it’s allowed then great but if permission is required then I’ll just leave it where it is.

Grey area afaic as regs deal with flue exiting on a hard boundary line not a shared one, ask your neighbours for permission get it in writing if they agree.
The neighbours if they have a mortgage cannot just sign the lenders rights away, as above it would have to be entered against the deeds on the property with the Land Agency. It might also predudice their ability to sell their homes in the future. I have experience as does my wife a barrister in these matters ...and have seen a few householders made to remove the offending article. One recently was a friend developing a house and next doors flue had been there years, the neighbour refused but after a month or two he had to remove his old floor standing boiler to free up the land that was not his to encroach on Chking

Last edited:
Could you use a vertical flue and go through the garage roof ? Kop

Attachments

• 20180411_162009.jpg
    20180411_162009.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 2
The neighbours if they have a mortgage cannot just sign the lenders rights away, as above it would have to be entered against the deeds on the property with the Land Agency. It might also predudice their ability to sell their homes in the future. I have experience as does my wife a barrister in these matters ...and have seen a few householders made to remove the offending article. One recently was a friend developing a house and next doors flue had been there years, the neighbour refused but after a month or two he had to remove his old floor standing boiler to free up the land that was not his to encroach on Chking

It's a shared drive by multiple users that I suspect nobody technically owns and where no development will ever take place and the only issues are rights of way and maintenance of said drive. If the garage is two or so metres away from the neighbour's wall I'd argue the imaginary boundary line is half that so placing a flue there is compliant but do check with your LA. I see lots of flues exiting onto a shared drive but I doubt an easement has been applied for in any of those cases. The easy answer is as mentioned above, go straight up through the garage roof.

Last edited:
Can someone approve my posts please, my oldest reply is 25hrs ago and still pending.

thanks

sorry hope you can understand there’s only me atm approving / sorting them out

I wouldn’t object if it’s installed there as an installer just do as mk says plume kit just to save it pluming at head height

I wouldn’t object if it’s installed there as an installer just do as mk says plume kit just to save it pluming at head height
The ones I have seen cause most trouble are flues on the outside of single or two storey buildings which vent over private property. Then the new next door neighbour wants to put up an extension
Right adjacent to the property with the naughty flue. This one is not in that category. It’s been a good subject to open up. Carry on .....Centralheatking

As Gasmark has said use a plume kit to take it up higher i would have a talk with the neighbours before hand to test the water 😉 although you are far enough away from their boundary but you have got to live there . All the best kop
[automerge]1580936948[/automerge]
Hears a couple i did not the prettiest of things plume kits but tucked down the side of the property it complies not like the neighbour's one . Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200205-204808_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200205-204808_Photos.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20200205-204815_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200205-204815_Photos.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20200205-204357_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200205-204357_Photos.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Reply to New boiler location - shared drive in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock