Search the forum,

Discuss Need help with inherited washing machine and dishwasher plumbing. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Do they need traps - Yes
Air valve, do you mean air gap? If so then - Yes
If going with one standpipe then make it a big one.

Photo not showing.

The way it is at the moment from the photo, water from the sink could get into the washing machine drainage plus (and a big one) you'll have permanent standing water up to the level where the horizontal hose hits the level of the sink outlet....smelly and loads of backwash when you use the machines. Better way would be to lift the level of the machines drainage to the height of the sink trap inlet and to use a double spigot top inlet (like you've shown) onto the single stand pipe plus a trap connection where it joins the horizontal pipe. If that makes sense :) Better still would be to have a separate outlet for the sink and another for the d/w and w/m drainage with traps for everything.

You cannot leave it like that the pipework needs a continuous fall to the drain and both stand pipes need to be trapped it can't rise up as it will always be full of dirty water and eventually block up and flood your property when the washing machine or dishwasher pumps out. Kop

You cannot leave it like that the pipework needs a continuous fall to the drain and both stand pipes need to be trapped it can't rise up as it will always be full of dirty water and eventually block up and flood your property when the washing machine or dishwasher pumps out. Kop
Many thanks. I’m not a qualified plumber but as soon as I saw it I didn’t think it was acceptable. Will be changing it soon. Thanks again.
[automerge]1588176057[/automerge]
The way it is at the moment from the photo, water from the sink could get into the washing machine drainage plus (and a big one) you'll have permanent standing water up to the level where the horizontal hose hits the level of the sink outlet....smelly and loads of backwash when you use the machines. Better way would be to lift the level of the machines drainage to the height of the sink trap inlet and to use a double spigot top inlet (like you've shown) onto the single stand pipe plus a trap connection where it joins the horizontal pipe. If that makes sense :) Better still would be to have a separate outlet for the sink and another for the d/w and w/m drainage with traps for everything.
Thanks for the reply. That makes sense. Not sure how easy it would be to separate outlet for sink from d/w and w/m but probably is possible. Certainly aim to raise the height of the machines waste as you suggest and add traps.

Last edited:

Reply to Need help with inherited washing machine and dishwasher plumbing. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, We have noticed for a while now that when our washing machine nears the end of a cycle we get a bad smell of dirty water in the downstairs toilet which is next door. We have moved the washing machine as we are having floor tiles put down and have noticed that the waste pipe is full of dark...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm installing a new kitchen which will have a dishwasher and washing machine. As I'm cutting/teeing into the cold mains 15mm pipe (before the kitchen sink taps) to feed the dishwasher and washing machine is it worth fitting a isolation valve with a built-in check valve? Regards Tezzer
Replies
Views
A
My mum is trying to connect a washing machine and dishwasher in her kitchen. She got a guy out to do the job and he ended up making a hole in her washing machine hose and ramming the dishwasher hose into it, held together with masking tape and charged her 200 quid for the privilege of her...
Replies
Views
This is a picture of my sons sink plumbing. The yellow arrow goes to the dishwasher and the red arrow goes to the washing machine. There is a problem with waste water going from the sink, into the washing machine I guess because the pipe, right on the elbow isn't high enough. I have tried to...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just moved the washing machine into the garage and it will not drain. I wonder if it's something to do with the way I have installed the waste? The washing machine is only a month old and was working fine this morning before re-positioned. I put an 1100mm hoorizontal run at around...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock