Search the forum,

Discuss Mixer tap fastening into worktop in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Trying to fit a mixer tap with this sort of fastening. Bit that goes up inside the tap is like a threaded running nipple but when fully screwed in only 40mm produdes and worktop is 40mm thick so no thread to screw nut onto. I am not even sure of the thread size. Across the flats on the nut measures 1 3/8 in or 34mm give or take a gnats. I would prefer to be able to extend the threaded nipple if I knew its size. Other option is I route out a lot of the underside of the worktop, solid oak. Am actuyally assuming is 32mm thread which would tally as one can get 32mm threaded conduit.
Any ideas folks.

Last edited:
As accurate as I can be think yes is 32mm, and thread looks too fine for BSP . Meant to attach a pic to original post somehow
forgot.

tap.jpg

1. If the diameter is 32 mm, then if the thread pitch is 2 mm it's an M32 thread.
2. The threaded shank only provides a hold, it doesn't seal anything. If you unscrew it from the body of the tap by a few turns would this give you enough to provide a firm grip for the nut and for the body? You would need to allow a couple of mm for the O ring under the body of the tap.

I have unthreaded it as much as I can whilst still having enough thread still in the body but I then have just 40mm of thread to go. And as the worktop is 40mm thick am left with nothing to screw the fastening nut to. And yes it has a 2mm pitch so is a M32 as you say. Luckily found online not as rare as I thought might be. Unfortunately looks like I will have to cut the worktop after all. Reason is I cannot get the original sleeve off. It will not pass over the pipes as the flexible pipe connects to the pipework to the tap head via a flanged connector that has been soldered on. Looks like it was soldered on after, brilliant. Is nothing easy?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yes if you want to fit this tap you can just rout out a recess large enough for the appropriate socket/ spanner.

If worktop is in situ and not enough room for router, stitch drill and a sharp chisel will do it.

'Your wife likes the tap' is a whole different playing field to the 'Customers wife likes the tap'.

Looks like the router for you!!!!

Have fun !

Oak benchtops - make sure top o-rings seals properly.
It would be detrimental to you well being if water got in and swelled or discoloured the oak.

Reply to Mixer tap fastening into worktop in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock