Search the forum,

Discuss MegaFlow 3 Bar Valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sanjivr

I have a leak in the '3 Bar cold water valve' but I am unable to find a replacement part. The Tank is a Mega flow HE pre 2009. When the valve is cleaned it does not leak. I have tried to find the part on the internet and have spoken to Interpart and they told me to get a combination pack - which means nothing to me. Can some one help ?

:welcome: to the forum sanjivr ... You really shouldn't be messing with an unvented cylinder but then if it's the 3Bar valve I'm assuming that it is fitted to the central heating circuit yeh?

need new combination valve, they do tend to seize up and leak. acts as a balancing valve. any combi valve will do just need to alter the pipework. dont forget the discharge from it.

You also need a G3 card to work on unvented cylinders.

The 3 bar combination valve is the pressure reducing valve to ensure the incoming water supply does not exceed 3 bar.

Megaflows are a good idea in theory but garbage in practice. Their neat lines by design lead to constant callbacks which means i won't touch them as i am the idiot who has to run out to it for free. (bit of a rant, i know)

Follow your users instructions to replenish your air cushion before you buy or attempt anything. If that don't work you should really get someone qualified but it is your risk and i won't elaborate.

Got to be unvented registered to touch the megaflow, be careful with these cylinders, there are a few different types of valve, 3bar, 5 bar with over temperature. Etc etc.
im not sure what a combination pack is, it maybe a pressure reducing valve, with gauge, strainer and isolationing valve built in. Jon

Megaflows are a good idea in theory but garbage in practice. Their neat lines by design lead to constant callbacks which means i won't touch them as i am the idiot who has to run out to it for free. (bit of a rant, i know)

I'm surprised to hear you have constant callbacks - what sort of problems are they? Or, is it just the customer needs educating!

The problems are the constant discharging from the expansion valve caused by the need to recharge the air volume area. Doing away with an expansion vessel for an inbuilt air cushion may seem like a good idea and keeps the work looking clean rather than the sometimes cluttered look where a vessel is present but the air volume needs comstant regular recharging. Customers in general will not do this themselves as it is something they are not accustomed to doing. Their plumbing just works and if water is running out then it is a fault of the plumber.
Now i am an easy going guy most times but after a few call backs and showing the customer (again) how to recharge the air volume i begin to lose patience. It is costing me time and money for a problem not of my doing. In the end i loose a customer because after my guarantee period when i want paying they refuse. They then get (and pay) another plumber to recharge it and bad mouth me because it has leaked since the day it was put in. It is irrelevant that it will continue to do this. It is my fault as i fitted it.
I stopped fitting them years ago. They are an overpriced hassle i don't need.

There are much better systems on the market. Look around.

The air cushion should be recharged at the annual service, but most people don't have it serviced unless there is a problem.
We only get a handfull of enquiries that need the air bubble recharging. With larger systems you may need an additional expansion vessel, but generally the bubble works fine.
My own Megaflo has not been recharged for over 5 years!

We have had one installation where the temperature and pressure relief valve was faulty, and Heatrae Sadia replaced that under warranty.

Is this constant recharging required with all your Megaflo installations?

I like unvented, but will never fit a mega flo again. Over priced, over rated and too much hassle. With Tamz on this one.

I have 4 megaflo's (installed over 4 different rental properties) never had to recharge a single one.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to MegaFlow 3 Bar Valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Hi, I have an unvented water heater which for some reason every year causes me issues. At the end of 2023 I noticed that the pressure valve gauge was going up when the water tank was switched on. My local plumber came and re-pressured the expansion vessel as it was flat, afterwards we tested...
Replies
Views
S
Hi All I had an unvented cylinder fitted about 6 years ago. It only supplies hot water to my shower. I was hoping for a much better flow rate from the shower but it seemed no different from the original combi boiler hot feed. There is (unusually) a lever that lets me select the combi or the...
Replies
Views
Steveo111
S
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help me with below issue. During winter time only, I have been having issue with low pressure or pressure dropping with unvented hot water cylinder system. During summer time there is no usage of central heating so the pressure at unvented system is not...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m having issues with cold water to multiple outlets. Taps, showers, toilets cold water is fine at the kitchen sink. The hot water system is a Glenhill unvented cylinder. Hot water is fine at all outlets. I assumed the cold outlets not working were from the balanced cold from the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock