Search the forum,

Discuss Low height bath trap? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Having a new bathroom fitted and the old bath. It's a terraced house with a single story kitchen to the back. The bath waste pipe runs through the roof of the kitchen and then out to the side. There is no access from the kitchen into the roof area above.

The floor of the bathroom is about 5cm below the top of the kitchen roof where it meets the house wall. The toilet and wash basin both exit the wall and run along the top of the kitchen roof next to the wall and then to the gutter.

The bathroom fitter has suggested we raise the bath by 10cm so that would give enough clearance to run the pipe out of the wall and run it above the kitchen roof.

Would a low height bath trap work?

A low height bath trap may save you raising the bath by 10cm - but not by much.
Maybe 5cm.

I would be more concerned about the height of the bath and getting into it.
Is the bath fitter going to install a step for access?
Is there not a regulation on the height of the bath above floor level?

I would tell the bathroom fitter to keep the bath at the same level and work out how to get the waste out.
They obviously quoted the job and would have made allowances for discrepancies.

His suggestion is to make his life simple at your expense / grievance at a later date

Here are pics of the inside of the bathroom and the outside. You can see the original lead bathroom waste pipe that goes out through the kitchen roof.
IMG_2167.JPG

IMG_2170.JPG

Better to drop through the flooring either into the kitchen ceiling void below or maybe through it and run the bath waste on the surface out the wall connecting into the soil pipe via a strap on boss and box it in ? I would not raise the bath any higher than the bath panel allows. Kop

Last edited:
I have added some notes. I will measure the height from the bottom of the toilet soil pipe to the floor.
IMG_2167.JPG

[automerge]1598695213[/automerge]
The old bath waste pipe is some thick lead pipe. The fitter suggested to use a solder fitting onto that as its still in situ. But I was thinking its better not to use that?

You're paying to have a bathroom refitted.
Why would the bathroom installer contemplate using 50+ year old waste pipes.

I personally would not contemplate using any of the existing if it wasn't PVC.
I would also renew the hot and cold water in the area of the bathroom.

You're paying to have a bathroom refitted.
Why would the bathroom installer contemplate using 50+ year old waste pipes.

I personally would not contemplate using any of the existing if it wasn't PVC.
I would also renew the hot and cold water in the area of the bathroom.

The cold and hot pipes seem to run from 15mm to 22? and then back to 15mm when they reach the bathroom. Not sure why that is.

I really don't want to take the ceiling of the kitchen down as the kitchen is fairly new.

In that case drop the bath waste down through the ceiling of the kitchen and then run it to where it needs to go in a boxing just below the ceiling. Or if it is convenient, run it just above the kitchen cupboards - with a small upstand to conceal it.
None of this is that unusual to do , admittedly it is more common when replacing a bath with a low level tray or a wetroom, but the principle is the same.
Surely your bathroom fitter has come across a similar situation before?

In that case drop the bath waste down through the ceiling of the kitchen and then run it to where it needs to go in a boxing just below the ceiling. Or if it is convenient, run it just above the kitchen cupboards - with a small upstand to conceal it.
None of this is that unusual to do , admittedly it is more common when replacing a bath with a low level tray or a wetroom, but the principle is the same.
Surely your bathroom fitter has come across a similar situation before?

I gave the whole house project to a builder / PM who brings in his own tradesman - saves me the time and hassle of managing it all. However it seems that the bathroom fitter seems to want to do everything rushed - I don't know why as I need to discuss this with the builder who I need to meet next week to resolve a few issues.

I believe that when the builder took on the project he just assumed it was an easy connection to the existing waste but the fitter now possibly has to work within a requirement that is not appropriate?

It's why I was looking for advice as I really don't want a botched job.

If it was all hidden away and therefore unseen, you should tell them you want it doing as we’ve described and that you realise an extra cost is involved- which you should then agree a ballpark figure on.
If the builder has agreed a price to the bathroom guy and it turns out more complicated than foreseen there is no reason why he should swallow the cost.

The clearance under the bath is a minium 10cm and could possible be more if I can raise the feet on the bath by one inch. But would that give me enough height to fit a bath waste and trap where the outlet pipe was no lower than the floor.

The run from the bath waste through the wall is about 50cm.

bathroom.jpg

You must be well above the lead flashing ?? It looks pretty close to me , one of these traps will give you a bit more clearence a small pilot hole will tell ?? You could measure down from the existing pipes as a guide ?? . Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200831-193142~2.png
    Screenshot_20200831-193142~2.png
    168.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20200831-192612.png
    Screenshot_20200831-192612.png
    137.1 KB · Views: 8
Is there not a void under the tiles?

Can you not run the waste in the void and connect directly to the stack?

Does the builders quote state ' Connecting to existing waste pipes' If not, then they have to make the installation work.

Some of the things they are expecting you to wear will be to your detriment and your expense at a leter time when things go wrong.
Connecting to lead wastes will be one of them

You must be well above the lead flashing ?? It looks pretty close to me , one of these traps will give you a bit more clearence a small pilot hole will tell ?? You could measure down from the existing pipes as a guide ?? . Kop

Yes the floor of the bathroom is above the flashing. The toilet waste pipe exits above the flashing as well.

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mcalp...mm/21158#product_additional_details_container

Has anyone experience of Mcalpine combined bath trap and clicker waste?

[automerge]1598952500[/automerge]
Is there not a void under the tiles?

There is a void under the tiles but the kitchen ceiling has no access - to push the pipe through the void would mean ripping the recently plastered kitchen ceiling.

Last edited:
Yes the floor of the bathroom is above the flashing. The toilet waste pipe exits above the flashing as well.

There is a void under the tiles but the kitchen ceiling has no access - to push the pipe through the void would mean ripping the recently plastered kitchen ceiling.

Can you not lift the roof tiles to gain access to the void?

Reply to Low height bath trap? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I live in a house that is 20yr old. There is a single soil stack running from the top floor (of three) through the first floor bathroom and then through the kitchen to the drains. A while back I started to hear a drip hitting the kitchen ceiling (now with some ceiling evidence too) from...
Replies
Views
Where and how does the water supply work and is there only one rising main pipe and where is it usually located? I am top floor flat, mains fed supply and all 6 in the block have a shared rising main pipe (I think unless there is meant to be more than one). Kitchen: From the ground floor to...
Replies
Views
Total refit of of bathroom. I've got a 40mm waste from the shower running beneath the floorboards to an external wall and out. Just above where the pipe exits is where the obvious place for the bath waste to exit as well. Should I use separate waste pipes for the bath and the shower or can the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, grateful for your expertise on the following. DIYer, not pro. Rural property in France Single storey. Septic tank. Late 80s construction with concrete slab subfloor. All of the waste pipes run in the concrete, and exit the property at the chamber as pictured, just outside the building...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Is this set up correct: Attic stop valve turns off the cold water to my bathroom (I think it is the rising main in the attic which I and other residents in the building share as we have shared supply to bathrooms and kitchens) Under kitchen sink stop valve turns off cold water in...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock