Search the forum,

Discuss Looking for latex/silicone 'sac' alternative in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JPeters

Hi everyone, this might be a bit of a strange question, but I'm looking for an alternative to small 'sacs' that are used in vintage pens to hold ink. I'd like to show pics but I'm not allowed, you can see what I mean by googling 'pen ink sac'.

The prices for these are ridiculous, and I need a few, so I'm looking for a cheap alternative. It basically needs to be a thin wall - less than a milimetre preferable - and have a bit of flexibility to go over the nipple (and to be squeezed, as that's how the pens are filled with ink).

I've seen rubber tubing that fit the bill, and figured I could seal one end with bike puncture kit glue, but I wondered if there's anything already sealed at one end that might be even better.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum.

These are reusable as I understand. Why not bite the bullet and buy something fit for purpose.

Since most of these were used on pens pre-1940 you frequently find pens where the rubber has perished. They perish after a few years with ink inside of them (different inks, different components, etc). Some inks will stain them too. Once you put one on a pen, properly sealed, you can wreck the pen by taking it off (depending on what kind of seal you use), and I want one on each of my pens anyway.

They're not really used anymore, so pen sellers make a mint off selling them. Also, they're not very easily available elsewhere - and I'm in Russia at the moment. So my options are spending a tenner on two of them (plus shipping) or a quid on some rubber tubing and having enough to make ten of my own. I just want to know if there's something more suitable - there must be!

I can see what you're trying to achieve. Not sure we'd be the correct guys to advise you though, most of the tubing we deal with has fairly thick walls which could be far too impractical for what you want to do.

Have you tried any of the hobbyist or modeling forums? They might have come across this sort of thing before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Looking for latex/silicone 'sac' alternative in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I can't put my finger on it now, but I saw a post where someone asked about connecting the condensate flexi from a boiler to fixed 19/21 overflow pipe. One reply was just to slide the flexi over the end of the fixed overflow but as I recall "KOP" recommended a McAlpine compression...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm not a plumber, but a home DIY-er, trying to fix a musical instrument. I wondered if I might ask whether a plumbing part might do the job? I'm looking for a part that would be a bit like the pipe below. It could be metal or plastic, and stiff or flexible. It needs to be about this...
Replies
Views
A number of issues have been raised from a boiler replacement. Boiler not operating and with no pressure. Tile damage Sprawling pipe layout in kitchen (Retrospective view of alternate option when it was found that promise of removing pipes from airing cupboard could not be fulfilled). Battery...
Replies
Views
A
Does anyone recognise the coupler in the photo? The pipe is the mains coming up into the flat. I aim to replace all the plumbing with 15mm plastic but I'm concerned about leaks where it joins the mains. I'm thinking of removing the existing coupler and putting a speedfit 15mm to 1/2BSP tap...
Replies
Views
Angus
A
R
Ok, so lots of people kindly participated in the great Intergas Poetry competition. See this thread for details. There are two prizes - the main prize of an Intergas Eco RF boiler is limited to the members eligible as described in the OP of the thread linked to above. The mystery prize is open...
Replies
Views
Whyme
W
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock