Search the forum,

Discuss Locating stopcock - and why only shuts off hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sarahb

Hello all

Have spent all evening trying to find the stopcock for my mains water supply into my flat; and hoping someone can help me

I have located a tap under the sink (photoone ), but when I turn clockwise to close off, it only closes off the hot water. There is another 'screw' nearby to this, but this only turns off the water to the kitchen tap - but I need to turn off for the entire flat as I am having building work done at the flat tomorrow

The flat was built in the 1980s and originally had a water tank system. This was replaced by the previous owner with a combi boiler a few years ago. It would seem that the tap that my neighbours' currently use to close off their water is were their original bolier is, but in my flat this now looks sealed off - see photo two.

I have tried all the little levers under the bolier and none of them seem to effect the water

Any ideas for where this blinkin stopcock may be? Help very much appreciated before I have to call in a plumber!!

Thanks

Sarah

Attachments

• stopcock1.jpg
    stopcock1.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 52
  • stopcock2.jpg
    stopcock2.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 61
Hello Sarah. That valve that is in your second photo (that shows back of unit) is your mains stopcock. It is the brass valve that is down low below the drain and plugged off pipe.
Good luck trying to get at it. Clockwise is off. If it is not too seized you might find something to aid leverage would help you, like an adjustable spanner
It is advisable you get that stopcock moved to a slightly higher position later. Better it centres approx 100mm at least above the bottom shelf.

Last edited:
Thank you so much. Yes seems previous owner has built a low shelf that almost covers the stopcock - so I couldn't see it originally (well spotted!). I can get at it and it turns, but I can't get enough leverage on it to fully turn off so will be hacking down the shelf tomorrow

Thanks again for such a quick response!!

You are welcome Sarah. To be honest, it does look very awkward for anyone to get at it to turn.
Looks in good order, so as you say, remove plenty of the shelf to get at it.
It is the most important valve for an emergency, so you want it workable

as it has not been turned in a while, if you do get it to move,
expect to also have to give the gland nut a tweak after opening again as they usually drip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Locating stopcock - and why only shuts off hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock