Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking lockshield gatevalve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heys guys, looking for some help with a job i got today.

The problem i'm having is that as soon as i open the valve, water leaks from the spindel.

Normally easily fixed by re-packing the gland with PTFE. But these valves don't have gland nuts. There are a few of them throughout the school i'm working in and they are all the same. Never had to fix one of these before so i'm hoping someone can shed a little bit of light on it for me.

Cheers.

I presume you are talking about radiator lockshield valves (these are NOT gatevalves). Actually not many lockshields do have gland nuts and packing in the traditional sense like stopcocks.

Usually its o-rings, but you are as well to whip them off and put new valves on as mess about chaning the o-rings.

Last edited:
Herz_Valves_UK_Compression_lockshield_gate_valves_1.jpg

No, it's very similar to this except 35mm and about 30 years old. When i unscrew the shield i can see to the spindle but no packing gland.

yeas Ive had this before, undo the shield, turn off the valve/adjust then replace the shield, as soon as youve replaced that the leak stops?.

No the only way it stops is to shut the valve, with or without the shield. Thought maybe someone would know a way to repair it without having to do a drain down and renew.

Ah one of those - generally just whip em off and put new ones on - usually gunked up inside anyway.

the lockshield is the packing gland on this type of valve theres no stuffing box to hold packing the lockshield forces a wedged shape brass ring down the shaft which is why you should have a3way key for turning them on and of as taking the lockshield of can disturb the seal

have you at least tried to stop it with a bit of loctite 55? i never use ptfe for this as one turn of the valve and it leaks again

When i got there the janitor had already taken the lockshield off to try and tried to fix it himself. It leaked with or without the lockshield so i just replaced the valve today. Cheers guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking lockshield gatevalve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, as you can see pictured I have a stopcock without a packing gland. Over the past few days my cistern inlet was suffering from an airlock and it was hammering constantly after filling. I turned off this stopcock, drained all the pipes, turned the taps back off and then let the water back...
Replies
Views
Bathroom towel rail with straight lockshield valves as in picture. Can't remove the top to tighten gland nut as it is leaking. Must be possible to remove but I can't and don't want to force it off.
Replies
Views
Rad is leaking from TRV valve, seems to be seeping out of where the pin comes up. I tried tightening up the nut below the pin, but that didn't help. I then looked online and saw that removing the nut and packing with some plumbers tape may help, but whenever I try to remove the nut a load of...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I've joined the forum today as I've found myself going round in circles with what I think might be a pretty simple problem, hoping someone can help. Our dishwasher is leaking and the manual says this can be fixed by cleaning the water inlet filter. To do this, we need to close the...
Replies
Views
Hi Just had a new bathroom installed with a toilet bowl that reaches the back wall. Its has a bottom entry cold feed to the cistern. The fitter put an isolation valve on the pipe work for this :-(, the copper pipe comes up from a plastic pipe push fit. See photo. I did a tissue paper test and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock