Search the forum,

Discuss Kitchen sink Sani stinking out shop in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello
I have a customer who has a very smelly under sink sani.
It only smells when pumping away.
It has a long run and a small aav to aid with drainage at the stack which is located in the toilets at the other end of the building.
Believe the smell is probably a faulty aav however does the size of the aav matter ?
The stack is also linked to two toilets.
Added picture of aav.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 36C674E7-6600-40B1-BC6C-0FA330E3F154.jpeg
    36C674E7-6600-40B1-BC6C-0FA330E3F154.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 13
Check the Aav it may not be sealing correctly after pumping out ? if the unit works correctly then when was it last cleaned ? is it operated regularly ? These units need to be maintained and cleaned to give trouble free service . Kop
Smelly under sink sani?
Guessing the op had one of these mate . Regards Wayne

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200418-073554.png
    Screenshot_20200418-073554.png
    180.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20200418-074110.png
    Screenshot_20200418-074110.png
    328.2 KB · Views: 16
Check the Aav it may not be sealing correctly after pumping out ? if the unit works correctly then when was it last cleaned ? is it operated regularly ? These units need to be maintained and cleaned to give trouble free service . Kop
Guessing the op had one of these mate . Regards Wayne
thanks for the reply. The aav fitted is only small. Would you advise getting a larger aav and fitting that instead replacing the old ?

thanks for the reply. The aav fitted is only small. Would you advise getting a larger aav and fitting that instead replacing the old ?
I am not sure it's needed at all to be honest and looking closely there is signs of staining below it ? rpm is your in house expert these units are usually vented on the unit itself ? Any pictures of the pump . Regards kop

I am not sure it's needed at all ? rpm is your in house expert these units are usually vented on the unit itself ? Any pictures of the pump .kop
So the vent is on the stack within the toilets. The saniflo is in the kitchen away from the toilets. The stack terminates inside so an aav is required. But does it need a larger aav for two toilets plus the saniflo ? Or does this aav suffice ? This is a picture of the saniflo which I am going to clean out with the solution you suggested.
[automerge]1587193590[/automerge]
also note the bulging rubber collar on discharge pipe. I am going to change that as well as looks as though it could blow off.

Attachments

• 413E5111-82E8-4E0B-B692-DD1F82BE1993.jpeg
    413E5111-82E8-4E0B-B692-DD1F82BE1993.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 14
The connection for a saniflo vent is the right hand side connection the raised plastic section if fitting a vent it needs cutting and the supplied adaptor fitted there and a separate vent installed ? , personally I would remove the Aav cap it off with a mechanical fitting and a access cap and fit a 110mm Durgo valve to the soil pipe at the highest point and agreed some work needed on the unit itself . Regards kop

kop is correct on some point.
Reason I asked which model is because I`ve seen wrong pumps fitted many times and some of the correct one`s I wouldn`t advise the average guy to touch.
Smelly eh? You have a sense of smell have you tried using it to find the source? (you might even find the built in already open air vent!).
Why get hung up on the aav all the time? Is it needed, I don`t know without knowing the pipe size and run to the stack however the soft low pressure inlet pipe connection found on the higher pressure outlet shouldn`t be there so I`ll give you 10/10 for noticing that.
The cleaner kop linked to might be required if there is limescale present however it wont do much if the tank is full of food debris, oil and fat being a kitchen sink. 3-4 bottles of Flash spray cleaner, hot water, a washing up brush and a wet-vac is needed. Should you decide to take it apart then I suggest that you are certain you know how those pumps go back together first. (Plenty of video`s out there for this, some good and some rubbish where they have cheated the viewer)

The aav is not for the saniflo.
I thought the aav could be the reason it smells. However after some research I have found that they can get jammed open.
the saniflo runs into this stack and therefore could be the reason for the smell.
i will change the aav to a 4inch version, clean out the saniflo and drain down to change that rubber coupling that looks like it’s going to blow off😆 hopefully this will sort the smell. Thanks for replies 😎

The aav is not for the saniflo.
I thought the aav could be the reason it smells. However after some research I have found that they can get jammed open.
the saniflo runs into this stack and therefore could be the reason for the smell.
i will change the aav to a 4inch version, clean out the saniflo and drain down to change that rubber coupling that looks like it’s going to blow off😆 hopefully this will sort the smell. Thanks for replies 😎
Maybe useful to install a inline valve on the discharge but this is only advisable for future maintenance . Kop

Hello
I have a customer who has a very smelly under sink sani.
It only smells when pumping away.
It has a long run and a small aav to aid with drainage at the stack which is located in the toilets at the other end of the building.
Believe the smell is probably a faulty aav however does the size of the aav matter ?
The stack is also linked to two toilets.
Added picture of aav.
Thanks.
So the vent is on the stack within the toilets. The saniflo is in the kitchen away from the toilets. The stack terminates inside so an aav is required. But does it need a larger aav for two toilets plus the saniflo ? Or does this aav suffice ? This is a picture of the saniflo which I am going to clean out with the solution you suggested.
[automerge]1587193590[/automerge]
also note the bulging rubber collar on discharge pipe. I am going to change that as well as looks as though it could blow off.
How many aav`s are we talking about? The one shown on the photo would appear to be on what 22 or 32mm pipe? Also it looks to below a high point where it should be in a high point - No? Regarding this one does the water flow up or come from above and flow down past it? Does it need the aav is another question so does the discharge from the pump rise up and over ceilings or down below floors and need to know over what distance with size of the pipe and does the size change anywhere?

The complaint was a smell so if the smell isn`t from the small aav shown once the tank has been cleaned and it is working as it should then why are people getting hung up on aav`s?

Is the discharge 32 mm ? If so something like this if there's room

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200418-200641.png
    Screenshot_20200418-200641.png
    149.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20200418-200918.png
    Screenshot_20200418-200918.png
    125.9 KB · Views: 4
So I’ve done a quick drawing.
the aav is situated at the stack. The aav is on a 40mm pipe which comes up from the 4inch. The saniflo dishcharge pipe (40mm) flows from kitchen above ceiling tiles all the way to the toilets where it is tee’d below the aav and drops into the stack. the distanceof the saniflo waste is about 20 meters.

Attachments

• 397188BF-7FF0-48AC-93CD-95D216E54D64.jpeg
    397188BF-7FF0-48AC-93CD-95D216E54D64.jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 69A0D13D-064B-4048-8C0F-995530C2672A.jpeg
    69A0D13D-064B-4048-8C0F-995530C2672A.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 4

Reply to Kitchen sink Sani stinking out shop in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock