Search the forum,

Discuss Kitchen sink component broken in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi. My sink is fine but on the draining board there are some slits where the waste water goes down when the dishes are drying. When the water goes into the slit, it goes into a component that takes the waste water to the pipes. This component is broken. Does anybody know the name of this component. And also, Are these components universally fitting to any sink? I have attached a photo of the underneath of my sink where the component is broken and has leaked onto the cupboard. Also the draining board slits at the top where the water drains frim the dishes and goes into the slits.
I was just wondering whether i could just replace the black water catcher or would i need to replace the whole sink.
I have no idea what the make and model of the sink is though as it was there when i moved in .
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20200627_173937.jpg
    20200627_173937.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG-20200627-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20200627-WA0004.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 159327831788940720207.jpg
    159327831788940720207.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 17
Good evening Kelly,

These are known as an overflow, and another all are universal. Some are round, some are square (yours), you can also get square to round. Something similar to one of these:

Good evening Kelly,

These are known as an overflow, and another all are universal. Some are round, some are square (yours), you can also get square to round. Something similar to one of these:

Thank you for your help Aquarius, i will look into this. I have what looks like a different set up to what you have suggested, do you think this could adapt?

Attachments

• 15932827439281858141823.jpg
    15932827439281858141823.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 14
Here is a link to the part .....https://www.plumbers-mate-sales.co.uk/kitchen-sink-draining-board-overflow-connector---74000602-6247-p.asp the other links are sink overflows not draining board.

Here is a link to the part ...https://www.plumbers-mate-sales.co.uk/kitchen-sink-draining-board-overflow-connector---74000602-6247-p.asp the other links are sink overflows not draining board.

As far as I know they can connect to draining board hence the square connector. The link you provided is out of stock and they can’t currently source?

It looks like whoever fitted the sink didn't cut the cupboard out enough and the drain has been squashed and broken against the chipboard divider.
That will need cutting out to even get to the damaged drain.

It's a common problem and there are plenty of companies selling spares, the only problem is identifying your exactly.
It's quite possible a universal rectangular one will fit using a standard circular hose to connect to the waste.

Ideally you need the old one off to check the exact size.

Searching for kitchen sink overflow parts with or without drainer in the phrase brings up a good few

Here's a similar fitting but may not be exact, (I suspect the lower tubular part will fit the other way around so it drops lower)

Thank you for your link.
It looks like whoever fitted the sink didn't cut the cupboard out enough and the drain has been squashed and broken against the chipboard divider.
That will need cutting out to even get to the damaged drain.

It's a common problem and there are plenty of companies selling spares, the only problem is identifying your exactly.
It's quite possible a universal rectangular one will fit using a standard circular hose to connect to the waste.

Ideally you need the old one off to check the exact size.

Searching for kitchen sink overflow parts with or without drainer in the phrase brings up a good few

Here's a similar fitting but may not be exact, (I suspect the lower tubular part will fit the other way around so it drops lower)

Hi snowhead, and thank you for your advice. Your spot on with that. Whoever fitted that cupboard didnt leave enough room. Im going to get the cupboard refitted and get a new part as well.
Thanks everyone for your advice.

Reply to Kitchen sink component broken in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock