Search the forum,

Discuss Isolating second MegaFlo indirect cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MGB_Roadster

I live in a 3 bedroom house with two bathrooms. It has two Heatrae Sadia Megaflo CL145 cylinders.

There are only two of us living here, and we only ever use one bathroom at a time, so I think the system may be over-specced for us, and we're paying to heat more hot water than we need. I'd like to isolate one of the cylinders to see if just using one is enough for us.

Does this sound like a reasonable idea, or is there a reason I need two ?

If I turn off the valves on the primary return and hot water outlet, then turn the thermostat down to "1" will that do the trick ? Is there anything else I need to do ?

I'm guessing it would make sense to swap the duty cylinder over every couple of months.

Any thoughts or help welcome.

Chris

It difficult to be precise with out a knowledge of the set up. But if cylinder stats on both and hot take of are capable of being isolated it should not cause concern.

pics? get one properly disconected and drained, otherwise youl have stale water in one.

Thanks for that chaps.

I was thinking that swapping the duty cylinder over every couple of months would prevent any water problems, but you can't be too careful about these things. (I don't suppose Mrs Roadster would be too happy if she came down with legionella :( )

Not too easy to take a photo of the setup, but I've tried to attach one. There are valves on the outlets of both cylinders, but not on the inlets. In order to drain and fully isolate the nearest cylinder I would have to install an additional valve above the inlet and the drain valve (where I've wrapped a couple of bits of red tape in the pic).

First step is probably just to turn one of them off at the existing outlet valve for a couple of weeks to make sure we get enough hot water with just the one.

Thanks again for the help,

Chris

Attachments

• HWC small.jpg
    HWC small.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 14
Hi. A regular little plant room you have there. The only issue i can see is the draining down (not when you drain down to do the work / valves as opening a hot tap will allow air in the break vacuum. ) But when an individal cylinder is to be drained you will have to crack the compession nut on take off to allow air in. Also the drain of cocks are more for compliance than use, i would change for a better patten, as you may well have a lot of water flying about in the loft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Isolating second MegaFlo indirect cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have two indirect water cylinders (Gledhill) connected to a gas boiler (Vaillant). The system is setup/programmed so that the tanks heat up twice a day for about 2 hours. When the tanks start to heat, one of them makes a loud vibrating noise, sometimes for about 15-20 mins, sometimes for...
Replies
Views
Good Afternoon all, I am hopeful someone may be able to offer some guidance on the following. In the home we have a gas boiler (serviced annually, October time) providing hot water to the CH system which is split into 3 zones (Honeywell 2-way valves) and it also heats the HW tank (Tribune...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a hot water cylinder which feeds 3 outlets (kitchen sink, basin in bathroom & bathtap) which has never had very good pressure (probably because of the set-up) but last year got so feeble that a guy suggested fitting a pump alongside the cylinder. This can work fine but then all of a...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I have a leaking drain valve off the CW inlet on a Range Cylinder. Am I right in thinking I have to empty the Cylinder below the CW inlet to change the valve? To isolate cold water to the tank to prevent refill, should I just lock off the 1 stop CW inlet or all 3 red stops? Turn mains...
Replies
Views
newbie184
N
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock