Search the forum,

Discuss Is this my central heating drain valve? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kkelly77

Image attach fail! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

I took a couple of photos of a valve located beside my oil boiler in my shed. Is the valve located beside the white pipe the drain valve for the central heating system? I need to drain the system partially to allow for fitting new valves and radiator upstairs. Thanks for the help.

K

Attachments

• 181020101220.jpg
    181020101220.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 181020101221.jpg
    181020101221.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 66
Couldn't be certain but it looks like it. Presumably you've not got one near an outside door or on a radiator as part of the lockshield valve?

No, definitely none on any of the radiators or near the boiler.

That is it. Just put a hose on it.
Don't "partially" drain the heating, fully drain it or you may have problems with air when you refill.

Also it you have any motorised valves on the system, manually open them when draining and filling.

That is it. Just put a hose on it.
Don't "partially" drain the heating, fully drain it or you may have problems with air when you refill.

Also it you have any motorised valves on the system, manually open them when draining and filling.

I have an expansion tank and an expansion vessel so my system is a semi sealed system. Is draining completely and then letting it refill the same procedure?

Well the new radiator is up and fitted but now the rads won't heat up. Now this could be because my Watchman on the oil tank is reading '0'. However, I set it up so that when it reads '0' there is still a small amount of oil left in tank.

After fitting the new rad I closed all the bleed valves on all radiators, turned them all off at the flow and return, then proceeded to let each one fill one by one starting with the rads downstairs. After this I bled the rads upstairs (which LOADS of air came out from). But when I turned the heating on, the rads didn't heat up. I went out to the boiler to see if was going but all I could hear was a sound coming from what I believe is a motor (see photo) attached.

Assuming there is still some oil left, any ideas why she ain't firing up? Thanks.

K

Attachments

• motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 29
Looks like that is the circulating pump.
Possibly still air locked somewhere in system.

Looks like that is the circulating pump.
Possibly still air locked somewhere in system.

Well the rads have all been bled. If there is still air in the system, shouldn't some of the rads heat up? TBH the tank is more than likely out of oil. I'll see if I can get it filled tomorrow and at least that possibility will be eliminated.

Is the boiler lighting up? Even if the system was empty the boiler would still fire up (not advisable) so check your oil if you think it may be near empty.

The "motor" in your photo is the pump. It will make a noise if there is air in it. Release the air by undoing the black nut on the front of it and pulling it forward slightly (don't worry, it wont come out).

that is your circ pump. turn it all off, unscrew the black knob and gently pull it out. you should hear a load of air escaping. then go to your boiler stat (remember your boiler stat?) remove the black cap there and push in the wee little button.

you'll find that if your pumps full of air, you'll have no circulation and your boiler would've tripped out on high temp.

Is the boiler lighting up? Even if the system was empty the boiler would still fire up (not advisable) so check your oil if you think it may be near empty.

The "motor" in your photo is the pump. It will make a noise if there is air in it. Release the air by undoing the black nut on the front of it and pulling it forward slightly (don't worry, it wont come out).

No boiler isn't lighting up. Makes a distinct noise when it does. Just the pump humming away. You reckon if there is air in it, that could be the cause of the rads/boiler not working?

No. If the boiler won't light it won't heat. It has probably tripped out the overheat which as Croppie said is under the wee black cap.

Here, it is easier to show you

motor.jpg

Brilliant! Thanks again for all the advice lads. Couldn't have done it without yiz. Photo attached of what it was all for.

Planning to fit TRV's on all rads soon enough so at least I'll know the procedure when I need to drain the CH again. Question on that actually, do you need to replace the return valve as well or can you just put a TRV on?

K

Attachments

• 221020101234.jpg
    221020101234.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 22
You can just do the Trv and leave the return but if you buy Danfoss combo sets you get a neat little chrome lockshield too.

Btw.
When refilling don't close the rads off at the valves. Leave them all open.

Well I unscrewed the nut on the circulation pump and there was no air. Just a bit of dirty water came out. I hit the reset switch on the boiler thermostat and it fired up first time :)

All the rads are heating up except the one in the hall. We had problems with this rad about 2 years ago. Called a plumber out who said he 'balanced the radiators' which solved the problem. How do I go about doing this as I could do without having to fork out for another plumber to do the 10 mins work which was done 2 years ago? Cheers.

K

UPDATE - I tried turning down the Return on all the hottest rads, And I tried turning off all the working rads and leaving the cold one on. It's still not heating up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is this my central heating drain valve? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from the loft water reservoir tank (which also feeds the cold water taps in the bathroom & the WC cistern). There is an expansion vessel attached to this...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem could be. We have a biomass boiler and stratification tank set up and recently had an issue with boiler pressure dropping off when the system was cold...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or garden, run-of-the-mill British housing estate CH setup. Downstairs radiator, 1 of 2 in our living room, went cold one evening mid-November last...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need to drain my vokera 29 boiler in the attic as Im going away for 4 weeks at least to make sure there are no frozen pipes. In my small 3rd floor flat, I have a radiator in the front room and one in the hall (very close to each other), there is a drainage valve on one of these. My back...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by saying I'd rather not read 100 "Hire a professional comments", I will do that when/if it comes to it, but I'd like to do it myself if possible. All images for system here: https://*********/a/ngPQkre Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock