Search the forum,

Discuss Is my Gas installation at home domestic or commercial? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I had a problem with my Gas boiler and called an engineer out from a local Crondall, Surrey UK company.
The engineer felt my installation was commercial even though past engineers over 13 years have never said anything like this.
My installation is different as I have 2 x worcester bosch 30cdi (30kw each) and my understanding is that it needs to be over 70kw to be commercial.
He agreed (after talking to some people on the phone), then he noted I had 35mm copper pipe that ran from the gas meter outside my house to the boilers in my house. The distance was in his opinion between 10 and 12 meters long. I would agreed that is at most 10m but he said 12m.
I asked him to explain how he gets it to be "commercial" and he was unable to and said his manager said it was commercial and left!

So I did some research and I worked out the following:
1. My boilers are 2 x worcester bosch greenstar 30cdi each is 30kw so total is 60kw and therefore less than 70kw.
2. My pipework is copper 35mm to the boilers and then reduces. So lets say it is 12meters from the meter to the boiler.
3. The gas meter has the follwoing on it: a UGI meters Ltd, A Hanson PLC Company, 1993, 212 f3/hr pmax 50mbar, -071ft3/and R5 (I have attached a pic)

So my calcs are as follows (domestic is something where the gas in the pipework and meter is 0.035m3 total.
35mm copper holds 0.00084 per meter
The meter holds as follows:
E6 = 0.0024 = results in 39m length
G4/U6 = 0.008 = results in 32m length
G10/U16 = 0.025 = results in 12m length.
I am unable to figure out which type my meter is, but I guess it is one of the first 2.
I know I have ignored the x0.1 for fittings. But even then I am definately domestic.
Are my calcs correct?
any comments please?

Attachments

• 2020-03-24 16.56.26.jpg
    2020-03-24 16.56.26.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 11
I think you called a company who thought they could make some quick bucks by pressing a reset button or the like.

Obviously the person who attended didn't know anything and his manager knew less.

Look on the bright side:
They didn't do anything and didn't stuff anything up.
I've been to a job this week where a so-called expert had changed some parameters in the boiler and also left the thermostat with a foreign language on the screen.

He told the customer usual story: PCB need replacing as well as the thermostat.

Replaced flame sensor - problem fixed

Your Meter is a U6.

It is more than likely undersized.

You would need to check the input for both boilers on full rate.

The Meter you have should only pass a maximum of 6 m3/hr.

If your pipework info is correct then it is domestic at present but once the meter upgraded to a U16, you will more than likely 'just' fall into the commercial category.

Hope this helps.

Clearly you have a Domestic Gas installation. The reason you have 2 x boilers is so that the original Domestic Gas installer could meet your needs without passing the work to a Commercial Gas Engineer who would have fitted 1 x big old machine! As was already pointed out, you'll need your Meter upgraded to a U16. The install would at the very least be not to standard. Oh, the "Engineer" that attended is talking garbage.

Reply to Is my Gas installation at home domestic or commercial? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

If a domestic boiler/gas appliance is in a commercial property, does this mean a gas engineer would need commercial tickets/qualifications?
Replies
Views
British Gas servicing the above boiler ramped up the boiler to maximum in the installer menu to do flue gas analysis. They also measured the working gas pressure on the gas valve test nipple. This fell to 8mbar on maximum and 17mbar on high setting. They then removed the isolation valve under...
Replies
Views
I have a domestic gas meter located at one side of my building and my boiler/cooker (only 2 gas devices) on the other side of the building. There is currently a 28mm gas pipe from meter to the boiler which is approx 25m and a further 5m to the gas cooker. My gas engineer is saying that the...
Replies
Views
Hi We are a commercial premises Have been using the same plumber for years and very happy with his work but recently came to light he has a domestic ticket. When questioned he said it was ok as all the boilers he works on are under 70kw? He also says he does not touch the commercial catering...
Replies
Views
About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the issue. When I first made contacted enviromental health I was told the following Could be my drains and to have my drains checked. Could be the sewers...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock