Search the forum,

Discuss Indirect Drainage Problem (without getting thru the floor) in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello all! glad to be here.... gonna be doing quite some plumbing work with a handyman of mine to lower cost of my new business so I hope this is the right place to get some good pro info!

So with my new biz, they are requiring a 3 basin sink like a restaurant kitchen, and with this they require an indirect plumbing for the drain of this sink. And the "official" doc states:

"Unless approved by the local plumbing authority, all warewashing sinks, culinary (prep) sinks,
ice machines, and commercial dish machines must be indirectly plumbed to a sewage outlet
pipe by either an air gap or air break."

Here is an image in our doc that shows an example and another photo the state office sent me as real life examples:

PDF Doc Image.JPG

Photo from Viv.JPG

This is my dilemma... in my new space, the only thing that has any water access is the bathroom, which is hear the room where I want the 3 basin sink, just across a 3 foot space in the hall.

Initially I was planning on just drilling holes through the wall and connecting a pipe directly from the 3-sink to the bathroom pipes to flow into and drain out using a mini-water pump and adding a portable tankless water heater.

But a licensed plumber told me, and another agreed, that if we need that indirect drain, that is impossible, that we need to basically smash into and dig out the concrete floor, and run pipes into the ground and into the sewage line.

This will clearly cost me a TON more than my first option. In fact, quotes were like $3k - $5k ! (depending on any adversity with the concrete and pies underground)

So as the statement in the doc states:

"Unless approved by the local plumbing authority..."

can I use this to work around this? Example:

I find a plumber who can make this work WITH an indirect drain as shown, and use some contraption/setup that doesnt require us to tear up all the hard concrete and still get the job done, AND have a "local plumbing authority" approve it, thus, showing the city and Dept of Agriculture inspector that this is legit and will work the same safely?

Also I do not even know what a "local plumbing authority" is... I been asking my city hall office in charge of permits/inspecting and they have no idea either, so how do I find this "local plumbing authority"?

And I am open to ALL out of the box thinking here... This is a LEASED space and I really rather not be tearing up concrete to get this done, spending so much, since I already have to spend thousands on other parts of the space, it'll just get to be too much, even though at the end of the day, I am fully vested already in this and too late to turn back really.

Thank you!

Don't take offense, but if you were a plumber you would understand what the regulations state and how to implement them.
I'm not sure where you found the photo / picture of the 3 outlets connected into the drain, but that is not how to do it.

You have had advice from 2 plumbers, who say you can't do what you want to do.
I'm not sure how you will get around it if the plumbing gas to pass and inspection.

The only way would be the correct way!

OP states that the picture of the the three traps under three sinks was sent to him/her as an example of how it should be done. It looks OK to me apart from the vents. They will surely allow smells out from any stagnant water in the traps or from the sewer if the waste pipe is connected directly the other end.

JMASTERJ,

Can you upload pictures of where you want to get from, and what you want to connect the discharge end of the waste pipe into please?

Don't take offense, but if you were a plumber you would understand what the regulations state and how to implement them.
I'm not sure where you found the photo / picture of the 3 outlets connected into the drain, but that is not how to do it.

You have had advice from 2 plumbers, who say you can't do what you want to do.
I'm not sure how you will get around it if the plumbing gas to pass and inspection.

The only way would be the correct way!

Well I am clearly not a plumber LMAO so that's why I am asking, why would I be offended I am not a plumber?

That photo was sent to me by a manager who is the one that gives the green light for my business to be operational within their rules from the FDACS.

And the 2 plumbers DID NOT say I cant do it... THEIR only proposed solution was we have to tear the floor up to get the drain through the underground, but as I stated again in my OP, the document for my business rules state if a LOCAL AUTHORITY allows whatever design they deem works, then they can allow an exemption.

So basically again asking if there is ANOTHER correct way to do it... if u dont know, thats fine.
[automerge]1590045926[/automerge]
OP states that the picture of the the three traps under three sinks was sent to him/her as an example of how it should be done. It looks OK to me apart from the vents. They will surely allow smells out from any stagnant water in the traps or from the sewer if the waste pipe is connected directly the other end.

JMASTERJ,

Can you upload pictures of where you want to get from, and what you want to connect the discharge end of the waste pipe into please?

Thanks, and FYI I will be using the sink so seldomly, I am not worried about scent or whatever else that comes from usage, it just needs to pass inspection basically.

Rough sketch...Bathroom on the right corner where the blue arrow is pointing...
3 basin to be on the other room on left in purple... Only water source and drainage right now is in the bathroom, so somehow want to route pipes that way I am thinking.

Screenshot_20200521-032059.jpg

Someone else showed me an interesting setup, what do you think about this?

commercial-plumbing-grease_trap.jpg

Last edited:

Reply to Indirect Drainage Problem (without getting thru the floor) in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. Itā€™s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock