Search the forum,

Discuss Ideal standard rapide sprint in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kay-jay

Took this thing off the wall today
y4unaby6.jpg

Never come across one before. Anyone know much about em?

Be interested to know how old they are, im guessing old because it doesn't look like any modern combi at all. For a start there was a honeywell 2 port inside it so i think perhaps its from when combis were very much in their infancy.
Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Flippin heck I'd never heard of that model for years!!! They were probably one of the first attempts of converting a conventional boiler to a combi! Literally take an existing design and cram a load of gutts underneath! lol ... They leaked all over the place if my memory serves me well ... Did it have a glass sliding front? or was that another model?

No glass front. Had some lead inside, a large and a small exp vessel a honeywell two port valve and some round thing that looks like something a cowboy cooks his beans in which i assume was the secondary hex :)

Flippin heck I'd never heard of that model for years!!! They were probably one of the first attempts of converting a conventional boiler to a combi! Literally take an existing design and cram a load of gutts underneath! lol ... They leaked all over the place if my memory serves me well ... Did it have a glass sliding front? or was that another model?

Ha!
What a memory, brown lined glass that slid upwards a few inches.
I don't remember them being too bad a boiler, but then my memory ain't as good as it used to be and certainly not as good as yours lol

Didn't the Ideal WRX have a glass front too?

How old do you reckon it was?

Mid - late 80's. The one with the brown glass was about the first (also on the WRX) They then changed the glass to a white grey the same as on the elans then did away with the glass. I broke the glass on an elan once. Went off like a gun.

Never seen a boiler stripped like that to get it off the wall :smile: Front cover off, disconnect the pipes and flue and lift it off in one piece.

Was heavy enough even after stripping it lol

Don't remember seeing any glass tbh back there tomorrow to finish off so ill look to see which colour it was.

If the plastic strips on the front edges have grooves in them it had glass.

Mid - late 80's. The one with the brown glass was about the first (also on the WRX) They then changed the glass to a white grey the same as on the elans then did away with the glass. I broke the glass on an elan once. Went off like a gun.

Never seen a boiler stripped like that to get it off the wall :smile: Front cover off, disconnect the pipes and flue and lift it off in one piece.

I remember an issue with explosive ignition and the glass shattering when the case flexed ...lol.... That was the rapide yeh? Flippin case weighed a ton!! lol

Deffo late eighties :)

Can't be many of em left? First one I've seen anyway. Bleeding monstrosity imo. Landlord having cheap replacement that's almost as big lol. Biasi riva

The dog :smile:

The glass front on the boiler which exploded in a million bits

Checked today and no glass (as i thought)

Just ad an after thought tamz about lifting the boiler off without stripping it. Reason was it was an unknown quantity having never seen one before.

Job was given me by a guy who Will never work again age 47 had two operations on his spine. Lifted an old top heavy boiler of wall on his own got caught off balance and leaned back....crunched his vertebrae in base of spine. Had to sell his van and stock. When his phone rings he gives us the installs though. Doing quite well out of it tbh....well better than him that's for sure.

we thought our boat had come in when they started the combis so light compared to what went before
i reckon youd need six plumbers to fit a gloworm floor stander these days the box with the casing was as heavy as some combis
ideal mex was the first to come with the case fitted but flue in another box
neta heats came with a hook so one man could fit it probably weighed about a hundred weight which you had to dead lift onto a bracket then the hook held it till you got a screw in

Last edited:
I moved house and that had an old sprint in,it was ok for a year or so but the piolot kept going out so time for a new boiler.

we thought our boat had come in when they started the combis so light compared to what went before
i reckon youd need six plumbers to fit a gloworm floor stander these days the box with the casing was as heavy as some combis
ideal mex was the first to come with the case fitted but flue in another box
neta heats came with a hook so one man could fit it probably weighed about a hundred weight which you had to dead lift onto a bracket then the hook held it till you got a screw in

Steve it was easier 30 year ago putting them up than it is now taking them down. I hate netaheats, spacesavers, ideal wrx and all the other adapted wall mounted floor standers :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ideal standard rapide sprint in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock