Search the forum,

Discuss Ideal Logic Plus Installation? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pimenti

Hi all,

I sought a repair for my increasingly noisy old Ferroli Optima boiler when things became so bad the whole house felt as if it was vibrating... After taking the front off for a couple of minutes' visual inspection, the guy told me it wasn't worth the cost of a flush out and new fan, but quoted me £2,080 instead, all in, to install a new Ideal Logic Plus 30kw boiler.

After he'd left (and the front was firmly back on again), the boiler noise subsided by several decibels and is now eminently bearable again. It's not 'normal', but better than it's been for months.

Personally, I'm not convinced that anything more than a good clean and a service is needed to keep it doing its job for a while yet.

I would be extremely grateful for any thoughts/advice on both the diagnosis and the quote...

With many thanks in advance,

Pim.

Hi pim. Welcome to the forum. Best advice I can give is get a 2nd opinion. We can't tell without seeing the boiler.

Welcome! if you're not happy then Get another engineer and another quote.

Thanks, I'll certainly be getting further advice about the problem. This first guy just seemed very quick, though, to suggest repair wasn't a viable option, so I thought I'd canvas the expert opinion on here! If I did opt for a new boiler, how does the quote sound? After a bit of a web search, sounds a bit steep to me?

Thanks again for the welcome and help so far.

Pim.

Where re you based pim? May be a local engineer here who could come and give you an opinion.

Thanks, I'll certainly be getting further advice about the problem. This first guy just seemed very quick, though, to suggest repair wasn't a viable option, so I thought I'd canvas the expert opinion on here! If I did opt for a new boiler, how does the quote sound? After a bit of a web search, sounds a bit steep to me?

Thanks again for the welcome and help so far.

Pim.

honestly we cant really comment on the price you have been given. It too hard to guess over a computer screen really. If you get a few quotes and they are all within a simular range then your around the going rate at a guess.

when comparing any quotes make sure you completley understand exactly what you get from each quote. Flush or powerflush? magnetic filter? what controls? flue route and postion, upgraded gas suppy etc, etc............

Thanks, both, again. I appreciate there are lots of variables which make it difficult to give online judgements, just thought there may be a consensus over things like whether this boiler was actually any good or not. From what I understand, from a plumber's point of view, it's relatively easy to install.

AP, I'm in Leeds, if anyone can help!

Cheers,

P.

ferrolli and ideal both names I choose to avoid, poor history all round even if some think they are ok now.

ferrolli and ideal both names I choose to avoid, poor history all round even if some think they are ok now.

I thought someone might think that, as lots of the reviews i've read have been bad, and thanks for the opinion, Lame.

On the other hand - ironically - the Ferroli boiler in my house has been installed at least 14 years - since before I moved in - and, up to now, it's never had a single fault...

So I don't really want to swap it for one that's likely to pack up in five years, now do I? :tongue3:

ideal logics have a decent rep at the moment, they have been around a few years now and no major concerns. There older boilers like the isar and icos were poor. Most engineers will stick with boilers they know and trust and most engineers slag off any boiler they have had a problem with in the past, wether its a fair opinion or not.
You need to take the advise of your installer on board as its he/she who will install and likely maintain it.

^^^What he said. There are a lot of heavily biased opinions about boilers on this site. I usually fit Worcester Bosch, but the Ideal Logic + is my second choice boiler if the budget is lower. I've only fitted one so far, but I was very impressed with it. Very easy to install, performed well and seems to be a better unit than Ideals of old.

I can't recommend Ferroli though, had bad experiences with the new models and their customer services are terrible, part availability can be a nightmare too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ideal Logic Plus Installation? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Got up on Wednesday morning no hot water, (only cold water coming out of hot tap). Checked boiler, it had zero pressure and F1 fault showing. So I refilled the pressure using the filling loop, up to about 1bar which is where it usually is, which worked fine, had hot water all day. Same thing...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, my boiler seems to be making a whistling sound after a while its on, if I tap it firmly it goes away, is this something to do with trapped air? Any ideas? My boiler is ideal logic s30. Video attached thanks
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi, As per the thread title, I have an Ideal Logic Combi 30 and I am having a problem with the pump, which keeps activating without any DHW/DCH. When the pump activates, it runs for exactly 4 minutes each time and this can happen as frequently as something like 5 times an hour or as...
Replies
Views
Our current boiler is 19 years old (and a piece of Rubbish) Had a guy round today from Energy Options Solutions that offered us an Ideal 30kw Logic Boiler on 10 year finance with 10 year warranty. They claimed it would save us 54% minimum on our gas bill per month and we would have a magnetic...
Replies
Views
Hi. I have an issue with my Ideal Logic+ System S24 boiler which I hope someone can help with. Below is as much detail as I can think of. The boiler has been running constantly (cycling?) 24/7 for the last few days, during the recent very cold snap and since. HW and C/H are running fine, as per...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock