Search the forum,

Discuss Ideal logic combi 30 boiler drainage???? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

leonieadam

I have a Ideal Logic Combi 30 + boiler but I need to drain the whole system due to a leak that requires the heating system pipes empty but just trying to find out if its at all possible to drain the system from the boiler instead of draining via a radiator??

Thanks Adam

There should be a drain point on your pipe work some where a lot easier . Connect a hose or if you haven't use the boiler drain point depending if the leak is higher then the boiler you should be ok

The problem is the boiler is higher than the radiator. The system is old and was installed with the boiler in the kitchen and the pipes running out going upstairs to an airing cupboard into a boiler mate. This has now been removed but it does mean the pipes still going from the boiler upstairs and then split off to come back downstairs to the radiators. I see there is a drain valve on the front pipes of the boiler but If I try drain from here I take it, it wont drain the down stairs radiators (which is where the problem is) due to the pipes to downstairs coming from upstairs

If you haven't got a drain point by the radiator then your only way would be from the bleed valve on the radiator . Good luck

If you need to work on a point lower than the drain valve on the boiler, then you'll have to drain from somewhere else lower than the place in which you need to work. You may have to remove a radiator and drain from the rad valve.

Us Plumbers may be a higher power, but alas, even we cannot change the laws of psychics (unless we carry a wet vac ;) ). Our battle with gravity and its effects on liquid is a constant one.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol thanks for the replys. will have to drain from the drain valve. On this type of boiler how will I refill the water back into the system after it has been drained????

You should have a filling loop fitted somewhere which is a flexi hose with two isolation valves either end. Sometimes the hose gets removed and put to one side. Reconnect hose and open isolation valves slowly topping up system to around 1- 1.5 bar.

the hose is still connected in a loop, there is 2 sets of valves on each side 1 set in blue 1 set in black, do i open both of the valves on both sides??

and will the pressure stay 0 until the whole system is full and then once full start to increase the bar??

My advice would be to leave the boiler well alone, as its pretty obvious you have little understanding of how the very basics work. You will damage your boiler in the long run by trying to make this repair yourself. A qualified plumber would probably not charge you very much and have it done much faster, and safer.

If you've got a suspended floor downstairs and the pipes run under the floor just cut the pipe then pop a hep coupling on after....
dont do this if you live in a first or higher floor flat....

Stop, think about it and make a plan. DO NOT OPEN THE BOILER!!! this can be solved easily and quickly by a heating engineer. or if you think you can, then please feel free to have a go from the lowest point you can. If in a house, just cut the pipes in the crawl space, then make good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ideal logic combi 30 boiler drainage???? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock