Search the forum,

Discuss Ideal Logic 35 Boiler Losing pressure *Solved* in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Vik

Evening All
I used this forum over the last month to research my problem with the Logic 35 boiler losing pressure.

Background - My 4 year old boiler began losing pressure at around 0.3-0.5 bar every day about 4 weeks ago. Like any worried home owner i checked the following things:
1. PRV - tied a bag over to see if there was any water collected. None
2. Condenser pip was bone dry.
3. No obvious radiator leaks or towel rail leaks. (7 rads + 2 towel rails)
4. No Air lock in the system - I bled all the rads
5. No visible leaks in or around the boiler.
6. Isolated the boiler over night to see if the pressure dropped - no Luck.

I was using the filling loop daily to refill the pressure to 1.25bar and it became annoying. I had taken out homeserve cover last year so i called them out and the engineer said immediately there was a CH leak, (god knows how he did this without taking the boiler cover off). He then left and i was refunded my excess.

Two days later i called them again to say it was still leaking so they sent out another engineer. When the engineer came, Using my own research from this forum i asked him to check if the heat engine was leaking. So to my knowledge there is a heat exchanger and a heat engine, the exchanger is a smaller part at the bottom of the boiler and the engine the larger part making up most of the boiler. The condenser inspection cover was removed and a few drops of water were visible. The engineer said he'll speak to his manager to see if this was enough evidence to replace the Heat engine. 3 days later the engineer ordered the new part and spent around 3 hours fitting it.

3 days later the pressure seems to have held at around 1.2 bar. I haven't had to refill it and the heating system seems a lot quieter too. The engineer couldn't find any visible damage to the part he changed, so my theory is whilst the heating was on and under increased pressure it was leaking down the condenser trap and away through the drainage system.

I hope this helps someone with the same problem and felt it was important to share this as Homeserve weren't too helpful in identifying the problem, i kind of had to show them what to check. Apparently its a common fault and not a cheap one to fix if you have no cover with a company.

i'll continue to monitor the pressure over the next month and report back if the problem returns, but for now it seems to be solved.

Big thank you to all the people who posted indicating the typical areas to check.

It's a common problem I've replaced loads of these.

The homeserve chap said the same but i can understand from their point of view they don’t want to start with the most costly option, i was strongly against leak sealed as i didn’t feel there were any leaks on the CH side

I just had my heat engine/exchanger replaced after living with the boiler losing pressure for 3 years. My Ideal 35 combi is around 9-10 years old now. When i moved in this house 3 years ago I was topping up the pressure every few weeks. More recently I had to top it up every day. The usual checks for leaks were done by the engineers on the boiler and around the CH system. 2 thermostatic valves were replaced as identified were leaking. This didn't solve the issue. I had 5 different engineers from 2 different companies attend before I pushed for the final guy to check the heat exchanger after finding this post on the forum. As I was already a Homecare customer I only paid the £60 excess but it I got the impression they were reluctant to change the part as it costs around £400 and took 2.5 hrs to fit and were suggesting maybe it's time to replace the boiler!

This is the part below. I didn't get the picture of the old one and wish I had, but on the top of it the engineer showed me all the rust and oxidisation from the leak was all over one corner of the opening.

Thanks to all contributors which help me get my boiler fixed.

Reply to Ideal Logic 35 Boiler Losing pressure *Solved* in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock