Search the forum,

Discuss Ideal Classic SE18FF ignition not sparking - advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stuart_williams

Hi

I have an Ideal Classic SE18FF that is showing its age and cut out and won't restart today. I've checked it gets a signal from the room thermostat and timer and the central heating pump is running but there is no spark through the viewing window or across the PCB component referred to as the SG1 tube in the manual so it doesn't fire up. (no idea what that component is but daren't touch it with the multimeter)

The PCB has power (the single LED is lit and the two relays switch when there is a signal). I can hear the fan but when I place my hand against the flue outside I can't feel any airflow (don't know if that is normal). The red and violet wires on the air pressure switch are live but the yellow wire isn't. If I unplug the fan from the PCB the voltages on these pressure switch wires don't change. The fan has about 70 ohms resistance across it so I don't think it has burnt out.

Would really appreciate a steer on what's gone wrong before I get the professionals in. Have worked through the fault finder diagnosis chart in the manual but it is inconclusive. I reckon either:

1. the PCB - which looks easy enough to swap but an expensive gamble if I'm wrong
2. the fan - which can't have burnt out but has maybe slowed right down so it is not creating enough of a pressure gradient across the pressure switch
3. the pressure switch - as it gives the same signal regardless of whether the fan is on or disconnected

If it is 2 or 3 then over to the professionals. Would be very helpful to know the likely cost and complexity so I know what I'm letting myself in for.... or if there is a cheap fix an amateur can do safely.

Many thanks

Stuart

Amateurs and gas really dont mix which is why there is the logo at the top of this page re gas advice I'm afraid. Best to get a gsr in, and they can take the gamble on the pcb as its their problem then if its not needed.

Thanks - I agree - have no desire to go fiddling around in there was just checking for obvious electrical faults.

So if the GSR fits a new PCB but it doesn't cure the problem, what happens? Do they swap back the original and then try swapping a different component and only charge for what fixes the problem? Or do they just keeping adding new components and you pay for the lot?

Not sure what the usual way of working is.

Thanks

most decent techies would take it on the nose if they get fault finding wrong, but you would hope they are honest and dont keep charging you for their poor fault finding, however like everything in life thats not always the case. you need to find help through recommendation rather than yellow pages or the internet is the best I can offer. try putting out your location and seeing if anyone will pm you, hopefully we are all honest

You need a gsr in to look at your boiler. We cannot and will not give advice on the installation or repair of boilers for your own safety.

Please go to Gas Safe Register | Ensure your gas engineer is registered. or post a thread in the 'I'm looking for a plumber / gas engineer' section of these forums remembering to include your location. [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

If you are gsr please increase your post count to 10+ then send a pm to either Gas man or Redsaw who will then check you and then give you access to the gsr private forum.

Thank you.

http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/central-heating-forum/42241-notice-gas-safety-related-advice.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ideal Classic SE18FF ignition not sparking - advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

It was fitted with the boiler a Potterton Suprima 30L about 21 years ago. Two PCB's later and a new fan the boiler is working perfectly. However, the programmer display is not showing any digits for the clock or anything else so I am unable to program it. It still works the boiler manually...
Replies
Views
Hello , I have an Ideal Classic boiler ff350 which runs for 10 mins before the boiler cuts out. The circ pump keeps running at this time. The Pump and The Three port valve have been checked and the User Stat on the front has been Changed (by a Gas safe engineer) when the Boiler cuts out there is...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
F
Hi, My 2014 Crown Boiler has a spark ignition system that is malfunctioning. When I turn the boiler power switch off and back on, the pilot light comes on, the boiler fires up and the radiators heat the house properly. But after the boiler turns off upon reaching the set temperature and when thr...
Replies
Views
Hi, Non-professional / knowledgeable person here. I'm a Brit in Romania who volunteers for a charity building an old peoples home for needy old people. Out here competence and integrity is harder to come by in a worker, in fact it's hard to find workers at all where we are in the countryside...
Replies
Views
Hi All I'd appreciate advice on what the potential issue could be with this boiler. Its a heat only Ideal Icos 18 fitted to an open vent system It had been switched off during the summer and had occassionally been used to heat water. Turned it one a few days ago and I could smell some...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock