Search the forum,

Discuss Hydro phonic (noisy) rads with bi directional TRV’s in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RobertC

Just had a new Potterton combi boiler installed and had the existing radiators single flow TRV’s replaced with bi directional TRV’s (one rad left without a TRV as per norm). When the heating reaches a specific setting one of the rads emits a vibrating hydro phonic noise which can be stopped by moving the TRV setting a fraction. However it returns or reappears on a different rad. I have had some success by turning the TRV settings higher and lowering the boiler temp but this is only a fudge and I am looking for a permanent fix. The plumber has no suggestions as he has only experienced this problem when single flow TRV’s are fitted to a new boiler.

I assume I only turn the lockshield of the specific radiator when it is making the noise. At one end of my radiators underneath a plastic cover there is a thin vertical square sided brass pipe protruding through 2 brass nuts, is this the lockshield that needs turning?

That's the bit - just a 1/4 turn might be enough. Don't force it too much though as they snap off quite easily.

Thanks for the info, I am waiting for the noise to return before trying it. However since turning the boiler temp down and turning the rads temp up the noise has not yet returned. Is this having the same effect as turning the lockshield and would the noise return if I just reduced the rad settings?

Not really. The hole in the lockshield is quite small and the noise is the water being forced through. Nothing to do with heat really (although I suppose there'll be a slight expansion in the metal with the hot water). If you reduced the rad settings (do you mean the TRV?) then this might cure the problem (similar to the lockshield hole).

For the sake of finding a spanner and turning the lockshield 1/4 turn ...!!

hello. ive always used danfoss bi directional trvs which ever is the flow you turn round the grey arrow. this time round ive purchased from plumbfix bi directional trvs but they dont have any arrow like danfoss do. can someone please advise me on this type of trv. they were only £5.99 from screwfix and highly reviews. i just want to try them out.

hello. ive always used danfoss bi directional trvs which ever is the flow you turn round the grey arrow. this time round ive purchased from plumbfix bi directional trvs but they dont have any arrow like danfoss do. can someone please advise me on this type of trv. they were only £5.99 from screwfix and highly reviews. i just want to try them out.

turn the valve to the flow

51DX%2B0AVXBL._SY355_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hydro phonic (noisy) rads with bi directional TRV’s in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock