Search the forum,

Discuss How stiff should the 3 port valve be? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Had a couple occasions where roomstat was calling for heat but boiler wouldn't fire. Wiggled the head on the 3 port valve (Drayton MA1) and the lever would then move from M to H, there'd be a click, the pump would come on and the boiler would fire. Actually on both occasions it looked like the lever was just past M.

Seems something is a bit sticky. Took the head off and tried turning the valve spindle by hand, it's quite stiff, I have to use a pair of pliers. Was wondering if the motor is getting a little knackered and it's struggling to turn the spindle, so don't know whether to change the head or the whole valve. Should I be able to turn it with my fingers?

Cheers, Fronty

Yes, you should be able to turn it with your fingers. Compare it to a new one.
Although they generally do get stiffer with age

Head off

Put some wd40 down on the spindle and work it back and forward should loosen up

I don’t have years of experience like some on here, I’m still relatively young and picking up bits as I go. If the valve is still fluent then that would tell me it’s the head, ie dodgy connections or the motor. Personally for the price of a new valve I’d just replace the whole thing but that’s just me lol

Well this is just sods law, as soon as I say I fixed it, it plays up this evening.
That's par for the course if you use WD-40 to 'fix' a seized mechanism. Will work long enough to confirm the problem but you still need to replace the worn parts and/or use a correctly spec'ed lubriant.

As SJB060685 wisely said just 'replace the whole thing'. Time is money and nobody likes call-backs.

Last edited:

Reply to How stiff should the 3 port valve be? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock