Search the forum,

Discuss how much precentage of profit on materials in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mark_mc

what kind of precentage would you guys put on materials, just dont know what a reasonable precentage is to put on materials.

Agreed, 15 - 20 %.

be aware that you don't always get a great deal at your merchants. They often can't compete with online stores. I recently saved £130 on a steuart turner pump by buying online. My merchants couldn't touch their price.

Why the extra "mark up" what have you done for it?

You should not just add on cost just because you can. If included in the "mark up" is handling time fair enough, but if you charge the customer for your handling time as part of the job time as well, that is not fair.

You should not just add on cost just because you can. If included in the "mark up" is handling time fair enough, but if you charge the customer for your handling time as part of the job time as well, that is not fair.
its called business bernie,thats what most of us are in it for

Upto 20%
When you look a 15mm check valve for about £3 from say Plumbfix, and B&Q range from £10-£15(both part of the same group), 20% mark up, the customer is still saving plenty!
Everyones a winner!!!

Last edited:

the whole point of your trade account is just that - you get them trade discount - of course you make a mark up on materials - asda wouldnt by beans in and sell them at the same price.

your wednesday night in front of computer sorting invoices out and paying your merchants doesnt come free.

i wouldnt understand anyone not making on materials - i'll make on anything i can - my tiler, my spark, materials, anything i can get a mark up on and still have a happy customer i will.

cheers lads, its great to know so say for every 100 of materials add anything from 15-20% i think that is a good precentage as it makes a wee bit etc and pays for the time going to and from suppilers, quoting and invoicing etc. if we didnt charge on materials then what pays for that>> our hourly rate pays for the hours work>>
as you say b&q prices are still more expensive
we need to make money and everything>> van insurance, public insurance, tools, surplus materials in van and just general keeping of business needs ££
thanks a lot lad

i .ve been known to charge a pound for a fibre washer! that must be about 800% markup :p

KJ

Well if its okay to charge whatever "mark up" you like, then would working Plumbers agree that it is fair to flood the market with Plumbers all competing for a little bit of work and bidding against each other to bring them down again?

Lets be honest if we go to a supplies and find they are charging more than they others for the same goods, are you not tempted to think them "rip off" merchants, why do the same?

If a union wants more money for its members they are sometimes accused of holding the country to ransom, but high mark uppers are perhaps thought of as good business people? They are both doing the same thing.

Even BA boss is said to be getting over a million bonus and a rise while trying to reduce the cabin staffs wages to as low as possible. Okay its to try and make the airline more profitable, but ain't the values wrong somewhere. Incidentally BA made twice as much profit than they thought this half year without reducing the wages.

We can't blame bankers for making Billions either, they are doing just the same as the high mark uppers.

Business can't have everything in its own favour all the time.

I don't think its fair to buy an article costing £1 and sell it on for £800, the customer thinks they are buying quality but its probably a very cheap product and the high price is just guys and gals making money for nothing.

The idea that over pricing and high mark ups can be put down to "That is business" is completely wrong. Business is a contract for goods and services provided which should be a fair contract between customer and supplier. But if one side acts like a shark in a feeding frenzy and the customer has little choice but to hire them as they do with Gas Safe jobs then the balance is unfair.

If we carry on like that and everybody puts their prices up, inflation will just take off for everybody and as your prices rise so the insurance costs go higher to pay for their Plumbing work.

Its a circle, lets keep things reasonable and decide what is a reasonable "mark up" or how much you have added value to the goods before selling them on. And yes virtually everybody can quote how much they have to pay for things, but it still doesn't justify high "mark ups"

I have sympathy for the position the self employed are in today but "business" is a long game and you need to be competitive by keeping your prices low.
Okay it may take a while to get your investment back but all the big companies work that way. The best companies probably sell by bulk with the idea that making a pound on one article helps you sell a hundred, but trying to make a hundred pound on one article probably does not sell many.
It also helps make jobs and keeps prices low for the customer, yet booming sales makes the companies very rich.

Last edited by a moderator:

are you mad Bernie? first of all you buy it, charge it to your account, process the paperwork, pay for it then chase the payment, you MUST put a mark up on material, i suggest 20-30% on top of the price you buy it for, if you dont add anything you will end up paying to "lend" your customers money, you say if handling is included then fair enough so in effect are you not agreeing that a surcharge must be made, out of interswet what do you charge, and as an aside if you charge the customer 1hr "on site" do you add admin time to the invoice for doing your paperwork to cover the material transaction

The problem is that the custards have access to the internet and will look up what price they can get a new boiler etc for, alot of online companies will sell a boiler to anyone at "trade" price, Mr Central heating for example, It was cheaper for me to drive down and pick up a Vaillant 837 in time and petrol + saved £56 on what my local merchant could supply one at. I havent botherd with them for a while as I cant be rsed with the drive and I like my local merchants as they have done alot for me (Plumbline Nottingham).

Last edited by a moderator:
Long post Bernie, and you make your point well.

However, as an example, I install a motorised valve, and for whatever reason the motor dies within a month (it happens), I'll have a hard time charging my customer for my time to take it out, drive to merchants and replace it. The merchant won't charge me for the replacement, but they won't go and fit it for me. This has actually happened to me.

Did the customer want to pay me twice for the job. Er no. Had I made a small mark up on the valve, yeah. Not enough to cover my revisit, but when I fit something I warranty it for 12 months, whether its a torbec valve or a whole bathroom suite. The small mark ups I make, give me a little comfort when things go wrong....and in our business things will always go wrong occasionally.

Plus 'profit' is not a dirty word.

lol ok then

Upto 20%
When you look a 15mm check valve for about £3 from say Plumbfix, and B&Q range from £10-£15(both part of the same group), 20% mark up, the customer is still saving plenty!
Everyones a winner!!!

b&q trade point is as cheap as plumbfix

B & Q have got me out of a few tight spots over the years!!!!! Like when they're open at 6pm on a saturday. :)

I hear what you're saying though.

This is going to be quite an interesting thread as it progresses I feel.

dont start bernie off on a long post again helpsy you have done it now LOL

B & Q have got me out of a few tight spots over the years!!!!! Like when they're open at 6pm on a saturday. :)

I hear what you're saying though.

the only place open 7 days a week and to 8 or 9pm at night got me out of tight spots as well.
also why does it look bad with your van there? they are cheaper than the plumbing merchants for a lot of stuff as well.
joiners can buy kitchens there at the moment for £500 less than they can anywhere else

i simply charge wickes price on single items, if the customer is not happy i tell them to go and fetch it.

or charge the hourly rate to go shopping ie if i go to the merchant and spend £300 over the hour i make an hours wage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to how much precentage of profit on materials in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock