Search the forum,

Discuss How do I turn this towel rail off? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help - I've got this towel rail (pic below) which has two valves on either side (pics on left/right).

How do I turn this off?

I would like to avoid (a) flooding the house or (b) switching off the entire UK water supply, which knowing my level of plumbing skills from past experience, is a very real risk :)

Do I turn the left one off, the right one off, or both off? Which direction should turn? Are these the right valves even for turning it off - or are they valves to bleed the towel rail?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Ian

Screenshot 2020-08-16 at 10.59.38.png

Put an adjustable spanner not pliers on the square bits and turn like a tap. They're usually called lockshield valves.
You can turn either or both off.
Bleed valve at top of rad.
Without fully understanding your heating system I'd be cautious about turning them off completely and you shouldn't really need to unless it is leaking.

Ok. Surely you can do that at the boiler.
Some systems use a rad or towel rail with 2 lockshield as a bypass on the heating system. Hence the caution

There's a few reasons why that radiator may need to stay on and turning it off or restricting it may cause issues.
It could be a heat dump, could also have the water that comes out of your hot taps flowing through it (not common but seen it done a few times), use caution when you do it. Do you have a hot water cylinder, sometimes called an immersion?
Those valves could also start to leak if you turn them.

Oz-Plumber - The previous owner did enjoy to "bodge" stuff rather than do it properly - we'll be replacing the bathroom at some point, so will get it in nice then!

JCPlumb - Yeah, that cupboard next to it is an immersion or hot water tank (and cold water tank/). Result in poor water pressure throughout house. When had plumber fitting kitchen, suggested tearing this out and moving it into loft and getting a combi downstairs.

I've turned one of them down and it seems to be less hot now. Think goign to leave well alone till I get someone who knows what they're doign in (which will do in next 6 months as having modern radiators popped in).

Reply to How do I turn this towel rail off? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock