Search the forum,

Discuss Help needed re: hot water and boiler issues!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Frustrated!

Hi folks. I need a bit of advice!
I have a Baxi 105e Combi (installed 5 and a half years ago - brand new central heating system - small house/7 radiators).
About 12 months ago we started having problems with our mixer shower (installed same time as central heating). In order to get hot water to the shower, we have to turn the hot water taps on the bath/sink full, turn the shower on, then turn the taps off otherwise the boiler wouldn't kick in. We had to do this 2 or 3 times to stop the shower running cold again. We presumed this was a problem with the boiler. About six months ago we also noticed that in order to get the boiler to kick in for hot water from taps, we had to turn the taps on full blast. None of this happened when the system was first installed. At the same time we had to adjust the pressure as this dropped quite often.
Then a few weeks ago a 'pressure' fault light came on the boiler and everything packed in - water & heating. The heating had been fine until then (apart from weird ‘crackling’ noises.
So the 'lovely' British Gas came to do a 'one-off' repair. The engineer fitted a new diaphragm and A.A.V. This seemed to solve all the problems apart from the shower. Until the next day when the light came back on and everything stopped working again. British Gas sent a second engineers and this time spent 4 hours fitting a new expansion vessel, micro switcher and new pressure gauge. They also recommended we get a 'spirovent' fitted but we haven't yet.
Anyway since then the heating has been fine. But we still have to turn taps on full to get hot water. And as for the shower, it went cold 7 times this morning whilst trying to get ready for work!
British Gas said there is nothing else wrong with the boiler and have said it could either be the shower (e.g. a washer) or something to do with the water flow into the house??? They have also recommended a power flush - they said the water in the boiler was quite black - although we have no cold spots on radiators.
So just wondering what people think really or if this sounds familiar. Also, is it normal to need a power flush on a 5 year old system?
Any ideas would be gratefully received, as I'm literally losing the will to live! Thanks in advance.

sounds like you have a blockage in the small vacuum pipes going to the diverter valve flow switch,blocked inlet filter or assembly the last bit would be v unlikely did they change the dhw micro-switch? in terms of the power flush get a independent to do it a lot cheaper than bg this is there standard ploy but it could need doing after 5 years if no inhibitor fitted btw the baxi 105 is a cracking boiler so well worth repairing,does the flow pipe get hot when the hot waters on? is on it should get hot but not boiling

Last edited by a moderator:
Does your cold water have a pressure reducing valve, if so is it set up & working ok.

If the temperature lights go up to 80c very quickly when turning hot water on & the burner go out & then refire after a while, maybe a blocked plate heat exchanger. Check that the cold water valve into the boiler is fully open.
If it's the plate heat exch, it's prob that the systems dirty/sludged. Get it chemically flushed before fitting a new one.

Thanks for this info. All the second guy wrote on our documents was that he changed a 'micro swicher'??? That's good to know that we have a decent boiler. Mmm may well check out some quotes then re the power flush. The guy that fitted the system for us said he used inhibitor but to be honest I'd never know! Thanks again.

Oh not sure I will check out the pressure reducing valve. Thanks for this. Thanks for the other info too. Will look into it :)

as aggis says it could also be the plate heat exchanger try (very carefully) touching the flow pipe when the hotwaters running heating must be off for a while to try this if its boiling hot it would point strait to the plate heat if this is the case it will ruin the diverter valve if left in this condition

Cheers for this. I'll get the other half to have a look. So it doesn't sound like a simple washer then haha!?

Cheers for this. I'll get the other half to have a look. So it doesn't sound like a simple washer then haha!?

sadly not but its a simple,reliable boiler bg should have been able to sort it,were abouts are you there is probably someone on here that can help

Hello Frustrated,

On the face of it you have a fairly common problem
that can be solved quite easily although it may cost
you a pretty penny.

What you describe does sound like a restricted hot water heat
exchanger...On the 'primary' side that shares the water that goes
through your radiators. Sounds like rust blocking it up and
causing the boiler to overheat. (Happy to explain that process if you wish.)

However, it could also be a fault within the boiler itself as
gas man has outlined so well above.

With that in mind, if I were you I would DEMAND that BG honour their side of the contract
with you and send a SENIOR technician (hopefully one with some gumption)
out to see what is really going on.

Since you have already paid them good money, they have a duty to
sort things out for you. Tell em so! But check the small print.

If it is sludge or rust you would be EXTREMELY lucky or charming if
they agree to do it for free. So, when they give you a quote and
you've picked yourself up off the floor get an independent in.

I have an inkling that you know how to get a good deal.

If it is sludge/rust you can clean the hot water heat exchanger out
but you will need to get the system cleaned competently to stop it happening
again.

Top up your corrosion inhibitor once a year.

you are welcome to pmb me if you have any other questions.

All the best and good luck.
Ian Pritchard

P.S. Please update your post to let everyone know what
happens.

You should have called a proper plumber out - they are well known for doing loads of work, which does not solve your problem . . .

The Bg engineer isn't a plumber, and so has no real knowlage of water supply and the like.

I even had an argument once with one that turned up on a site I was working on, and spouting some rubbish he had read out of a book - telling me that he was an expert, had doing it for 20 years, all the while telling the customer that using the washing machine was going to adversely effect her combis hot water supply pressure!!!!

Seriously aviod though . . .

Thanks all. Yeah BG gave me some rubbish about having to pay seperately for 'unrelated' faults. Would never use them again at all. Unfortunately the independent traders I contacted before BG didn't bother to show up. So in the end I went with BG thinking they were a reputable company and all that. Very misled! When I can afford to get it sorted I will let you know the outcome. Thanks for your advice everyone.

You were doing fine until you started on about the "lovely British Gas" engineer, There is an explanation for your problem, sometimes it can be a process of elimination, the engineer clearly resolved the pressure drop problem. As regards powerflushing, gasman is amillion miles off the mark, there is no "ploy", . You ought to be looking at your mixer valve. Isolate DHW out of the boiler and turn your hot water in the shower on. There should be no flow, if the chb lights there is back flow. If you're dissatisfied with BG then take a chance get an independent.

Hi folks. I need a bit of advice!
I have a Baxi 105e Combi (installed 5 and a half years ago - brand new central heating system - small house/7 radiators).
About 12 months ago we started having problems with our mixer shower (installed same time as central heating). In order to get hot water to the shower, we have to turn the hot water taps on the bath/sink full, turn the shower on, then turn the taps off otherwise the boiler wouldn't kick in. We had to do this 2 or 3 times to stop the shower running cold again. We presumed this was a problem with the boiler. About six months ago we also noticed that in order to get the boiler to kick in for hot water from taps, we had to turn the taps on full blast. None of this happened when the system was first installed. At the same time we had to adjust the pressure as this dropped quite often.
Then a few weeks ago a 'pressure' fault light came on the boiler and everything packed in - water & heating. The heating had been fine until then (apart from weird ‘crackling’ noises.
So the 'lovely' British Gas came to do a 'one-off' repair. The engineer fitted a new diaphragm and A.A.V. This seemed to solve all the problems apart from the shower. Until the next day when the light came back on and everything stopped working again. British Gas sent a second engineers and this time spent 4 hours fitting a new expansion vessel, micro switcher and new pressure gauge. They also recommended we get a 'spirovent' fitted but we haven't yet.
Anyway since then the heating has been fine. But we still have to turn taps on full to get hot water. And as for the shower, it went cold 7 times this morning whilst trying to get ready for work!
British Gas said there is nothing else wrong with the boiler and have said it could either be the shower (e.g. a washer) or something to do with the water flow into the house??? They have also recommended a power flush - they said the water in the boiler was quite black - although we have no cold spots on radiators.
So just wondering what people think really or if this sounds familiar. Also, is it normal to need a power flush on a 5 year old system?
Any ideas would be gratefully received, as I'm literally losing the will to live! Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help needed re: hot water and boiler issues!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this could be as a result of us noticing the sound more when there is less environmental noise). Unfortunately, it is severely disrupting our sleep, so we...
Replies
Views
Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any kind of instructions/manual and therefore trying to figure out ourselves. We have what looks like a boiler/water tank system (coming from a standard...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, we have a back combi heater. Whenever the heating comes on it seems to lose pressure within a few hours and I have to refill each morning. The boiler seems to function well, and the pressure only drops with the heating and not the water being on. Ie it started last winter and was then...
Replies
Views
I have a Combi boiler and, a few minutes ago I turned on the hot tap in the kitchen and the water was far from hot. In fact, it was decidedly lukewarm. I checked the boiler and the tap icon was lit up, showing it was delivering hot water to the taps and I could hear the boiler running and the...
Replies
Views
The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the whole house is working as normal. Hot water is working as normal on the ground floor. However, there is no hot water to the first floor bathroom. This...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock