Search the forum,

Discuss Help! Mould smell in wetroom after slow leak and mould removed behind false wall in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone, new to this forum and would greatly appreciate any advice.

We installed a walk in shower with a false wall to conceal the shower, toilet and wall hung sink pipes. There was a slow leak which led to a lot of mould growth. We opened the shower pockets and cleaned pretty much all the mould, perhaps left a little within the joints itself as it was unreachable , but the smell was gone. Put in a vent to allow air to come out behind the false wall. Dried the room thoroughly over 5 weeks with a dehumidifier.

After 2 days of use of the shower, the smell has come back. We took out the shower pockets again and could not see much mould!

The extractor fan seems to be working. The room is still quite damp so going to find a way to secure the sash window so we can crack it open all day. But the smell is coming from behind the false wall, where we don't understand where moisture could be going back as we fixed the leak already. Could it be going backwards from the bathroom into the false wall via the vents?

Anyone with false walls in bathrooms have a similar experience?

We are planning to paint the shower frame (wood) with some mould-proof paint now or bitumen, and seal all joints in case there are still mould spores stuck in there.

Really at a loss of what else to do now!

Any advice greatly appreciated!!!

Attachments

• opened shower.jpeg
    opened shower.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 32
  • wooden shower frame.jpeg
    wooden shower frame.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 31
  • false wall.jpeg
    false wall.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 28
Is the shower on an outside wall? What construction is the outside wall? Is there any air movement within the false wall?
May not be a leak but condensation if you cant find any other leaks. Or not fully dried out from the leak.

Is the shower on an outside wall? What construction is the outside wall? Is there any air movement within the false wall?
May not be a leak but condensation if you cant find any other leaks. Or not fully dried out from the leak.

Hi thank you for your help. The shower is on a shared wall facing the neighbours house (terrace house). The wall to left of shower head faces outside. The ventilation fan is on this wall. We don’t have any ventilation behind false wall as we felt it should be a closed system. We have anti condensation lining on the toilet cistern but not on the other pipes within false wall.
Should we consider just installing a ventilation fan behind the false wall leading out or lining all pipes to avoid condensation? We felt we had fully dried it out as no smell was present until we starting using the bathroom again.

thanks again!!
[automerge]1580750022[/automerge]
FWIW the extractor May well be working but what heating do you have in the bathroom?

Ventilation and heating are required

thank you for your help,we have a small towel radiator on the wall opposite the sink.

Only one ventilation fan in bathroom but not behind false wall

Hi thank you for your help. The shower is on a shared wall facing the neighbours house (terrace house). The wall to left of shower head faces outside. The ventilation fan is on this wall. We don’t have any ventilation behind false wall as we felt it should be a closed system. We have anti condensation lining on the toilet cistern but not on the other pipes within false wall.
Should we consider just installing a ventilation fan behind the false wall leading out or lining all pipes to avoid condensation? We felt we had fully dried it out as no smell was present until we starting using the bathroom again.

thanks again!!
[automerge]1580750022[/automerge]

thank you for your help,we have a small towel radiator on the wall opposite the sink.

Only one ventilation fan in bathroom but not behind false wall

One small radiator us unlikely to produce much heat ....

Ventilation is very important in a bathroom moisture levels can be very high you need to replace this with regular air changes 8 changes per hour passive air is worth considering in this situation to vent the void . Kop

Last edited:
I would check those recesses in the false wall within the shower space which if not properly done could easily let water through. A flat wall is much easier to seal.

Reply to Help! Mould smell in wetroom after slow leak and mould removed behind false wall in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I need some advice as this has been ongoing since august and nobody can find a problem but meantime water is damaging my walls. The lady upstairs had a plumber in July who relocated her washbasin shower and fitted a new radiator.He caused a bad leak and came to fix it in august and I thought...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am new here and I need some help with a home repair. I have this pipe located in my basement inside my wall made of concrete that is showing signs of water leaking onto my basement floor. There is no leaks from the pipe itself, the water is only coming from the bottom where the concrete...
Replies
Views
Hi please can anyone help had this bathroom reiffted as you can see it was knock through my shower is now were my old toliet door and window all blocked up the sink and toliet is were my old bath was .it's keeps leaking what do you think is causing it it drys over night but when I start using...
Replies
Views
S
Hoping for some advice on the use of AAVs while plumbing in my new bathroom. There is a sketch of the waste layout in the link below. All of the plumbing is concealed within floorboards or stud walls, so I can't have any AAV's on show. There are 2 voids either side of the bathroom and an AAV at...
Replies
Views
Stephen44uk
S
Hi, we just moved to a new build. There is a dreadful 'sewer' smell in the house. No outside soil stack. AAV is sited behind bath panel in family bathroom upstairs. Had this replaced as plumber thought may be faulty, no change in smell. We are one of three houses and there is a joint pump...
Replies
Views
Josh89
J
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock