Search the forum,

Discuss HELP - Back to back WC's issue with cross flow in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Morning all,

Struggling to resolve a problem. Back to back WC's in a fourth floor flat and the waste from toilet A(main bathroom) transfers into toilet B (ensuite) we have installed the McAlpine ARB 1 anti-cross flow valve on each side but it has only stopped solids and there is still some fluid getting through.

I have attached images of how this looks. How would you advise we fix this?

Appreciate any advice.

Many thanks,
Jack

Attachments

• ensuite 1.jpg
    ensuite 1.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 25
  • ensuite pipe connection to main.jpg
    ensuite pipe connection to main.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 25
  • main 2.jpg
    main 2.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 27
  • main stack pipe.jpg
    main stack pipe.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 26
  • main.jpg
    main.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 24
Sorry to say not easily. Both outlets would ideally drop in a near horizontal float to the stack. It was refreshing to see he has used a 45 branch but it is so close to connecting we you are asking for problems. Not straight forward to recover from.

If you can, lower the branch on the stack - but it looks as though you can’t.

If you can’t lower it.

Change the branch to a double corner branch and run each wc separately back to it (this is one where the two branches are at 90 degrees instead of the more usual 180.

I’m assuming as it’s a flat you can’t drop one of them through the floor and connect to the stack lower down - you could if the services all run in a common, accessible cupboard as they sometimes do......

Especially given the 45 branch and it's distance from the ensuite pan, I'd say there's a partial blockage in the branch pipe (with the white collar) or in the stack if there are no flats higher.

There would have to be quite a build up to get fluids to flow back to the Ensuite pan.
I think I'd cut a rodding eye into the branch near the stack junction to watch the water flow when flushed.
It may be usefull in the future if there's any blockages.

I think you could well be right as assuming the toilets were not going to be put elsewhere, the plumber has done the right thing and the best they can given the setup. I would have not expected any noticeable cross flow looking at how it's been connected up.

uming the toilets were not going to be put elsewhere, the plumber has done the right thing and the best they can given the setup. I would have not ex
If you can, lower the branch on the stack - but it looks as though you can’t.

If you can’t lower it.

Change the branch to a double corner branch and run each wc separately back to it (this is one where the two branches are at 90 degrees instead of the more usual 180.

I’m assuming as it’s a flat you can’t drop one of them through the floor and connect to the stack lower down - you could if the services all run in a common, accessible cupboard as they sometimes do....

Do you mean like this one? Seems a good idea! hmmm

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    72 KB · Views: 8
Is there much fall on the horizontal pipe? Sounds like isn't flowing away correctly, especially if you were having solids go back into the pan.

Reply to HELP - Back to back WC's issue with cross flow in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock