Search the forum,

Discuss Heating / hotwater appliance advice please. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

My daughter lives in a smallish 2/3 bed semi that was built in 2003. The house has one bathroom and an en-suite shower. It has mains gas central heating and hot water supplied from a wall mounted heat only boiler and a Boilermate 2000 thermal store which were installed when the property was built. I could be wrong but my guess is that, having regard to the age of boiler and boilermate, both will be due for replacement on account of age in the not too distant future. So that I do not make rushed decisions for my daughter I would be grateful for views as to the the best replacement appliance/s for her future central heating and hot water. The options I have in mind are a combi boiler, a heat only boiler plus a vented thermal store, a boiler plus a non-vented thermal store or any suggested alternative. I am not seeking the cheapest replacement but one that is likely to give good sevice with fewest complications over a number of years.

How many bathrooms any baths etc also what’s the water pressure and flow like ?

Will easily convert to unvented cylinder and conventional boiler, or you could pressurise the system if you want, both a straightforward job as almost you need is in the Boilermate cupboard, all you need is to get to a drain for the unvented cylinder.
There’s a load on the estate where I live and I’ve done a fair few conversions to unvented when the Boilermate failed.

In your situation you have a number of options but to keep things simple I would consider just an unvented cylinder and weather compensated heating. You could go down the PDHW route as well. For a three bedroom house you really don't need a system overly complicated. As long as the boiler is sized correctly and has good modulation turndown that sort of system is more than adequate. Im not a gas man but know a number of people who rant and rave about the Veisseman technology.

In your situation you have a number of options but to keep things simple I would consider just an unvented cylinder and weather compensated heating. You could go down the PDHW route as well. For a three bedroom house you really don't need a system overly complicated. As long as the boiler is sized correctly and has good modulation turndown that sort of system is more than adequate. Im not a gas man but know a number of people who rant and rave about the Veisseman technology.
Thanks for your reply to my enquiry. Why do unvented cylinders seem to be first preference? I thought they required an annual check to meet safety regs.

Thanks for your reply to my enquiry. Why do unvented cylinders seem to be first preference? I thought they required an annual check to meet safety regs.

You are right when you say unvented cylinders need routine servicing and maintenance, they are also notifiable work and must be installed by a certified engineer.
The main pro is they supply mains pressure hot water. Combis do as well but are not so good when theres other outlets open. With an unvented cylinder and a decent incoming dynamic flow rate and pressure you can happily have a couple outlets open.

Reply to Heating / hotwater appliance advice please. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock