Search the forum,

Discuss heating a home in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jase158

I am looking for wacky ways to heat a room without too much expense (this is in my own home so no issues with customer agreeing i.e.)

I have looked at

1. enlarging radiators (boring and probably the thing I will do but want to see all options)
2. Taking skirting off and placing pipes behind, place skirting back with batten to stop it from touching pipes. (cant see that this will give off much heat)
3. get a roll of underfloor heating pipe (PB pipe) and grind the floor where i want pipes to go, place pipes in floor then put cement back down (again not much heat as no insulation below, concrete would crack and very dusty)

I can't afford Underfloor heating or skirting heating or window heating.
looking for any other wacky ideas that might just work?

Room is 7.6 m x 3.4 m so very big and the single rad needs to be very big to heat room and is at one end of room so will struggle heating whole room and there is no space anywhere else in room for rad as we have loads of alcoves, fireplaces, understair cupboard, vent for back boiler, i.e.

And to make things worse I want to install laminate floor, which will make the room seem even colder

And room is very cold due to no insulation in walls and the vent for back boiler so need something that heats the room and stays warm (just like a rad!!)

belive me jase the new sweatshirt is the cheapest option i thiought you were renting a place?

You might be able to get the cavity walls insulated for free - would the landlord allow it then?

You might be able to get the cavity walls insulated for free - would the landlord allow it then?

walls wont allow and tried this before for attic, but had to get landlords permission and he wouldnt write a letter

I knew of a neighbour who had a coal fire and dismantled & burned their staircase during a very cold winter, they were a bit like Jed Clampett & His Kin (if you know what I mean)

Garden-Incinerator_large.jpg

this should do the trick,

just stick a flue liner on through front window

it be reet

Last edited by a moderator:
not a very imaginative bunch are you?

thinking water/ central heating/ plumbing, i.e.

If I use wood i am spending money on wood when I already use gas

could i put 6 lines of copper all round the room, connect one end to flow, other to return? wont look nice but may heat the room up.

Save up a load of carry out containers from the Chinese or indian takeaway. Get the wife to cut them into neat little squares and pierce a hole through. Hang these from the pipes running around the walls and you have a cheap skirting heater that will work.

and a bit of tinfoil on walls behind pipes and the room should be toasty,

like the imagination tamz

Yes, Insulating wallpapers I think are mainly made of a special polystyrene. Probably will dampen sound as well. Useful also if you are serious about playing music in a room without noise rebounding a lot.
You can also get insulating sheets that you fix to the inside walls of rooms which are bound to work well. I have seen sheets that you fix to a wall & then can be plastered over. I think the final surfaces inside a building, (floors & walls) are what really absorbs the heat away from the room.
My personal preference would be a wood burner with free timber you pick up anywhere you can.

Last edited:
Move. Seriously, your landlord sounds dreadful if he won't even sign a bit of paper for free insulation.

But before you do, collect a load of Styrofoam cups, flatten them out and glue them to the walls!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to heating a home in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock