Search the forum,

Discuss Glow Worm boiler keeps cycling with no demand in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all, first post but have a major issue that's causing me headaches. My system boiler (Glow Worm Flexicom 18hx) continues to cycle to keep itself up to temperature, even without any demand from the programmer (Drayton Lifestyle LP 522) which is also causing the pump in the upstairs airing cupboard (Grundfos Selectric 15-50) to run constantly due to the pump overrun unless the boiler is manually switched off.
We have no room thermostat so only control is the programmer.
Also no frost thermostat, and hot water is from a Joule Cyclone 150L storage cylinder in the airing cupboard. Boiler is in downstairs kitchen cupboard.

Only bought the house recently and have had a plumber/heating engineer out to look, he replaced the actuator heads on both two port valves and tested both the actual valves as functioning fine, he then spoke to glow worm who decided it must be the PCB on the boiler, which we have also now replaced which has made no difference. We have also replaced the programmer with a newer model just in case that was causing any demand fault, which has not made any difference either.

Having set the boiler to show operating codes on the screen I can see that it's cycling normally, then once up to temperature goes into the standard set time pump overrun, then before that can finish it fires again as if it's receiving a demand.

It's stressing us out as I know it's costing us on gas + electricity as well as unnecessary wear on the boiler and pump, plus as the airing cupboard is in the main bedroom we can hear the pump running (albeit quietly)

Could anybody think of causes we might not have come across yet?
Can give more info on system or add pictures if I've left out anything important.

Hi, temperature on the boiler is set to 65c if I remember right, and thermostat on the hot water storage tank is at 55, other than that it's just the programmer, but it still keeps cycling regardless of if the programmer is asking for heating or hot water. The plumber tried disconnecting the programmer and it still carried on cycling regardless.

And he replaced both two port valves?? Turn system off, pop both heads off the valves does it persist?

Ps with no room stat boiler will keep firing until turned off on heating. Temp on boiler is no means to control room temp

Last edited:
If you've fitted new timer, new actuator heads and a new pcb then it's time to get the electrics looked at. Something is sending a live feed back to the boiler so as Riley said, it sounds like faulty wiring. Did your plumber check the electrics at all?

Thanks Riley, will try that tonight. I do recall when he was wiring the new heads in the airing cupboard he mentioned spotting a live that he couldn't figure out the purpose for, but he didn't seem to think it was relevant so it didn't really stay in my mind. Seems obvious now, but can't think what it could be coming from.

Then my friend unless you are confident then you need a heating engineer or electrician comfortable with heating systemS. Sounds like this guy just swapped like for like and didn’t really know what he was wiring

Reply to Glow Worm boiler keeps cycling with no demand in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock