Search the forum,

Discuss Fast track gas course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

If you really want to get into gas then you really need to work along side a good and competent enginner, believe me I know. I didn't go the usual route and although I'm employed and gas registered, i wouldbt class my knowledge as the same as most engineers and it has held me back. Have you tried British gas? I think they train their engineers up fairly quickly compared to the traditional route and would be a better choice than those training centres.
Yeah I have spoke to British Gas they just said keep looking on our job page for apprenticeship there never mention if they would take someone on who does a course like that have you done a course like that or did u go down a different route?

Yeah I have spoke to British Gas they just said keep looking on our job page for apprenticeship there never mention if they would take someone on who does a course like that have you done a course like that or did u go down a different route?
As far as I'm aware, British gas only like to use enginners they've trained up themselves.
The route I went down was long winded. I did 2 years of full-time college followed by getting a work placement with a gas registered company. I stayed with the firm for around 7 years doing alot of domestic gas installation etc but in that time my boss never allowed me back to college to complete my nvq2 and kept promising my I would get gas qualified through a fast track course instead. That never materialised and I left and joined my current construction firm. They have been good to me and paid for me to get my gas qualifications but it took them 4 years to actualy do it and in that time i forgot alot of what id learnt with my previous company. I believe it was around £4k for me to do it. I completed a Small portfolio followed by an access to gas course, which was literally a 2 day 1 on 1 assessment which basically bypassed my nvq3 so I then had the minimum requirement to do my acs which was another 2 days of training and 3 days of assessment. I'm greatful I'm qualified but I'm sure some enginners on here would be horrified at how easy I got it compared to how they did.

As far as I'm aware, British gas only like to use enginners they've trained up themselves.
The route I went down was long winded. I did 2 years of full-time college followed by getting a work placement with a gas registered company. I stayed with the firm for around 7 years doing alot of domestic gas installation etc but in that time my boss never allowed me back to college to complete my nvq2 and kept promising my I would get gas qualified through a fast track course instead. That never materialised and I left and joined my current construction firm. They have been good to me and paid for me to get my gas qualifications but it took them 4 years to actualy do it and in that time i forgot alot of what id learnt with my previous company. I believe it was around £4k for me to do it. I completed a Small portfolio followed by an access to gas course, which was literally a 2 day 1 on 1 assessment which basically bypassed my nvq3 so I then had the minimum requirement to do my acs which was another 2 days of training and 3 days of assessment. I'm greatful I'm qualified but I'm sure some enginners on here would be horrified at how easy I got it compared to how they did.
If British Gas were to train you up you I would think they would want someone younger rather than someone in there 30s that’s why I was wanting to do fast track course as the apprenticeship takes four years and most company wouldn’t employ a 30 year old apprentice the training course am looking at gives you 7 weeks work placement to get your portfolio built up

I'm sure some enginners on here would be horrified at how easy I got it compared to how they did.

You showed a sustained interest in gas work over more than a decade and did the training and passed the tests as and when your circumstances permitted. It doesn't seem like you had it particularly easy to me.

You showed a sustained interest in gas work over more than a decade and did the training and passed the tests as and when your circumstances permitted. It doesn't seem like you had it particularly easy to me.
I have committed to the trade since I left school at 16. But as I've mentioned in another thread, my portfolio consisted of 6 boiler installs and that was enough to do my access to gas followed by acs. In my opinion I didn't feel I knew enough to pass, and if the assessment was closed book I likely wouldbt have done.

If British Gas were to train you up you I would think they would want someone younger rather than someone in there 30s that’s why I was wanting to do fast track course as the apprenticeship takes four years and most company wouldn’t employ a 30 year old apprentice the training course am looking at gives you 7 weeks work placement to get your portfolio built up
The trouble you may have is completing that portfolio in 7 weeks and that all comes down the company they place you with and how many different scenarios they can give you. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, some learn quicker than others. But £7500 is alot of money so I would thourougly look into the course and get it in writing what you will end up with at the end of the course.

The trouble you may have is completing that portfolio in 7 weeks and that all comes down the company they place you with and how many different scenarios they can give you. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, some learn quicker than others. But £7500 is alot of money so I would thourougly look into the course and get it in writing what you will end up with at the end of the course.
They have emailed me over all the information what you do on the course and what you get out it if you pass i know its a lot of money to do the course i just weigh up the pros and cons if i could get a job after the etc and its 6 months course going to be enough especially when apprentices do it in four years and are still learninng after that

They have emailed me over all the information what you do on the course and what you get out it if you pass i know its a lot of money to do the course i just weigh up the pros and cons if i could get a job after the etc and its 6 months course going to be enough especially when apprentices do it in four years and are still learninng after that
Well if you pass and struggle with employment you can always register with gas safe yourself and become self employed. You'll find the first year after qualification the hardest as you try to get your name out there but if your committed then nothing should stop you making a success of it. Just don't expect it to be easy that's all

Well if you pass and struggle with employment you can always register with gas safe yourself and become self employed. You'll find the first year after qualification the hardest as you try to get your name out there but if your committed then nothing should stop you making a success of it. Just don't expect it to be easy that's all
I know it wont be easy am up for the challenge just dont want to be waste a lot of money down the drain thats another thing see if i passed can i apply to be gas safe or do i need a company to do that ? Thanks for the advice

I know it wont be easy am up for the challenge just dont want to be waste a lot of money down the drain thats another thing see if i passed can i apply to be gas safe or do i need a company to do that ? Thanks for the advice
What qualification does the course say you will leave with upon completion? That will determine whether you can register with gas safe.

CCN1 – This is the core gas safety certificate which all gas operatives must have to work in the domestic gas industry.
CPA1 – Characteristics of combustion and use of a flue gas analyser.
CENWAT – Installation, service repair and commission of domestic central heating boilers and water heaters.
CKR1 – Installation, exchange, disconnection, servicing and repair of domestic gas cooking appliances.
HTR1 - IInstallation, exchange, disconnection, servicing and repair of gas fires and wall heaters.

Qualifications and Training Added to the Course:
Unvented Hot Water Storage Systems – Installation, servicing and maintenance of unvented hot water systems from 15 to 500 litres.
System Design and Fault Finding – Our own system design and fault-finding course aimed at giving you a better understanding of how central heating systems and boilers work.
• Basic Plumbing
• Basic Electrical Appreciation
• Safe Isolation

Well if you come out of the course with the mentioned qualifications then yes you will be able to register with gas safe yourself and become self employed. I would recommend that as a last resort though and least try to get a couple of years with a firm to get your experience up.

Well if you come out of the course with the mentioned qualifications then yes you will be able to register with gas safe yourself and become self employed. I would recommend that as a last resort though and least try to get a couple of years with a firm to get your experience up.
Thats what i was looking to do get in with a firm get some experience and take it from there do i not need to be with a firm to register as gas safe ? Is there any other qualifications you would recommend?

No you don't. If you've got the qualifications you can trade as a sole trader and register with gas safe yourself. As for other qualifications, if your sticking with domestic you shouldn't need anything else. Depending on where you live you can do lpg if there is demand for it in the area.

No you don't. If you've got the qualifications you can trade as a sole trader and register with gas safe yourself. As for other qualifications, if your sticking with domestic you shouldn't need anything else. Depending on where you live you can do lpg if there is demand for it in the area.
The plan is just to do domestic and see where that goes tbh am hopeing to get a job with one of the bigger companies to get the experience

CCN1 – This is the core gas safety certificate which all gas operatives must have to work in the domestic gas industry.
CENWAT – Installation, service repair and commission of domestic central heating boilers and water heaters.
CKR1 – Installation, exchange, disconnection, servicing and repair of domestic gas cooking appliances.
HTR1 - IInstallation, exchange, disconnection, servicing and repair of gas fires and wall heaters.

Unvented Hot Water Storage Systems – Installation, servicing and maintenance of unvented hot water systems from 15 to 500 litres.
System Design and Fault Finding – Our own system design and fault-finding course aimed at giving you a better understanding of how central heating systems and boilers work.
• Basic Plumbing
• Safe Isolation

The info they've sent you isn't up to date, you have to have been gas safe registered for 6 months before you can CKR1 and same applies for HTR1:

A Category 1 engineer who wishes to add another appliance element to their qualifications (i.e. extend their range in the same sector) would need to meet the following criteria before they can be assessed in that appliance:

• They must have been registered with Gas Safe for a minimum of six months
  • They must undertake training on the new appliance element they wish to add
  • They need to supply evidence of on-site experience of the appliance element; if this is not possible the candidate will need to undertake ‘realistic work environment’ practical work at a training centre in addition to the training stated above
Information for Category 1 gas engineering candidates as of 1 October 2018

Thats a reason to query to the cost. If your not going to finish the course with all qualifications advertised then that should reflect in the cost of the course. I'd also wonder why a training centre isn't up to date with the current requirements regarding gas safe registration.

• Basic Plumbing
• Safe Isolation
I would also advise met1. Just incase no one else has.

Yeah your right harvest, he would be classed as cat3. Interestingly though it states op would have to complete minimum of 12 weeks on site training next to an enginner. Not the 7 quoted by op

How does that make sense. Surely he is category 3? The six months is for someone already qualified isn’t it?

That applies to all categories, have to have been on register for 6mnths before they will let you sit either cookers or fires from November 2018 onwards, I've double checked for myself as I started the course that month.

That applies to all categories, have to have been on register for 6mnths before they will let you sit either cookers or fires from November 2018 onwards, I've double checked for myself as I started the course that month.
So you are saying that a newly qualified engineer cannot service a gas fire or cooker? Can you post the proper link please mate

I would also advise met1. Just incase no one else has.
Thats a reason to query to the cost. If your not going to finish the course with all qualifications advertised then that should reflect in the cost of the course. I'd also wonder why a training centre isn't up to date with the current requirements regarding gas safe registration.

Doesn't seem like any of the training centres are altering their pricing. I asked as I just missed out on being able to do them but they wouldn't shift the price. Those starting couple weeks before me got the 2 extra qualifications for the same price which was annoying

Reply to Fast track gas course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Fitted unvented hotwater cylinder building control looking forms signed it off job was in england i am qualified northern ireland send out a form to fill in what do u need to sign off in england as building control said they dont give out forms like they do in northern ireland
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock