Search the forum,

Discuss Effects of 22mm Hot pipe in pressurised system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dom Perkins

Gas Engineer
Hello,

I'm having a Worcester 34CDi put in at my home, replacing the accident gravity system that is there.
Obviously a lot of the existing pipework is already in 22mm supplying the Hot side. Does anyone recommend changing this all to 15mm to get a more desirable flow rate/pressure, or is it to much hassle for not much noticeable gain. Mainly thinking about the En-suite shower which is 22mm fed from the cylinder and cold water tank.

Cheers for your thoughts.

Not sure you'll have enough hot water either way.

It was suggested it would be fine for the circumstances by the Engineer, as there are generally only 1-2 people in the house, we have a Bathroom, and an En-suite, (obviously a kitchen as well)
While someone's reading this, thoughts on the 34CDi? Its replacing a 25yr old floor stander that has probably been serviced 3-4 times and has never broken down. Be sad to see it go!

Are you putting in a combi for a multiple bathroom property?
It was suggested it would be fine for the circumstances by the Engineer, as there are generally only 1-2 people in the house, we have a Bathroom, and an En-suite, (obviously a kitchen as well)
While someone's reading this, thoughts on the 34CDi? Its replacing a 25yr old floor stander that has probably been serviced 3-4 times and has never broken down. Be sad to see it go!

It won't make an appreciable difference. Your problem is that even with a 34kw combi, running multiple outlets concurrently is going to result in disappointing flow rates. 2 basin taps together should be OK, but anything bigger, and the system is going to struggle.

If you haven't already bought the boiler, and subject to there being adequate incoming flow and pressure, ask your installer about upgrading to an unvented cylinder and system boiler.

It won't make an appreciable difference. Your problem is that even with a 34kw combi, running multiple outlets concurrently is going to result in disappointing flow rates. 2 basin taps together should be OK, but anything bigger, and the system is going to struggle.

If you haven't already bought the boiler, and subject to there being adequate incoming flow and pressure, ask your installer about upgrading to an unvented cylinder and system boiler.

Well there is only 1/2 people in the house using the water at a time (well for the most part) We did talk about this and although the house is 4 Bed Victorian, we decided having a pressurised hot water system was to much money just for 2 people. We are having the boiler relocated to the loft also, so there is a Gas run to pay for as well.

Sorry none of reply's are being posted for some reason, been 30mins now.... reason for the Combi is the cost of Un-vented hot water is to much for us atm, with a new Gas run needed and the cost of a boiler and cylinder. There is also only 2 people currently at the property (at the present time anyway).
Thoughts on the Worcester CDi ? I thought it was a good boiler, being bosch, more i read the less i like though...might be time to swap it for something else?

Your posts will be delayed as you're new. They need to be moderated.

Vaillant are my boiler of choice. Your thoughts on a Combi may be suited to your immediate situation but I've known sales fall through because of poorly chosen boiler systems

my reply's aren't posting.........

still none of my reply's are being posted.....

Sorry none of reply's are being posted for some reason, been 30mins now.... reason for the Combi is the cost of Un-vented hot water is to much for us atm, with a new Gas run needed and the cost of a boiler and cylinder. There is also only 2 people currently at the property (at the present time anyway).
Thoughts on the Worcester CDi ? I thought it was a good boiler, being bosch, more i read the less i like though...might be time to swap it for something else?

Your replies are held in a queue until checked by one of the UNPAID, VOLUNTARY moderation team.

How about a little patience huh?

Fair enough, so long as the potential draw-backs have been pointed out. Lots of people live happily with a combi's limitations.

Regarding the boiler choice, if you ask 10 heating engineers, you will get 11 opinions. For all their detractors, Worcester have been market leaders for many, many years, and the CDI classic range is probably one of their best proven products. In a minute there will be people along to tell you its cr@p, and you should fit an X, Y or Z boiler. I would just say this - we sell hundreds of gas boilers every day of the year, and if I was in the market for a combi for myself - this would be on my shortlist.

I would prefer if it was fitted by a WB approved installer, with a WB system filter to maximise the warranty.

Like ray said, no good if you want to use anything more than 2 basins at once

But you are the customer and you know your needs and budget. A unvented system will cost more but it would be more suited for your property.

Small runs of 22 shouldn't cause any problems. If they are long the increased heat loss and extra volumes of water can cause performance issues

Fair enough, so long as the potential draw-backs have been pointed out. Lots of people live happily with a combi's limitations.

Regarding the boiler choice, if you ask 10 heating engineers, you will get 11 opinions. For all their detractors, Worcester have been market leaders for many, many years, and the CDI classic range is probably one of their best proven products. In a minute there will be people along to tell you its cr@p, and you should fit an X, Y or Z boiler. I would just say this - we sell hundreds of gas boilers every day of the year, and if I was in the market for a combi for myself - this would be on my shortlist.

I would prefer if it was fitted by a WB approved installer, with a WB system filter to maximise the warranty.

Thanks Ray, really appreciate the advice. I've recently read some reviews the Worcester's are a disaster, so was starting to regret my purchase. Should set up as tips box, as I'd happily send you over a drink!

Your posts will be delayed as you're new. They need to be moderated.

Vaillant are my boiler of choice. Your thoughts on a Combi may be suited to your immediate situation but I've known sales fall through because of poorly chosen boiler systems

Cheers Croppie, didn't know. I'll relax now ha

Thanks Ray, really appreciate the advice. I've recently read some reviews the Worcester's are a disaster, so was starting to regret my purchase. Should set up as tips box, as I'd happily send you over a drink!

To be fair, I am not sure that the more recent CDI compact range has quite so many fans, but if you are going to make a boiler very small, you have to accept some compromises. And if you are market leader in any field, there will be no shortage of people wanting to take a pop. According to some, my iPhone and my iPad are just the utter pits. I quite like them though. :)

Well I went for the Classic CDi as it doesn't need to be compact as it's going in the Loft (part of the reason I can't afford the Pressure-hot water as everything's being moved about so much). The classic should be O.K then. I've asked for a filter to be put in also as the system is old. I was also offered a scale reducer, after asking how they worked and then looking at them online, I can't see how they would do anything?

You could attach a combi to a cylinder in the future.

Get the scale reducer if you are in a hard water area. Otherwise a couple of years down the line you will be changing parts on the boiler. (Won't be under warranty if no reducer) I like combi mates personally.

Hi there
My only comment is on Boiler position if your most used hot outlet is in the kitchen you may find that you have a very long dead leg and wasting water.
To resolve this there is a product that can be fitted to the hot water outlet that slows the water flow until full heat is achieved.
hope this helps
regards

Get the scale reducer if you are in a hard water area. Otherwise a couple of years down the line you will be changing parts on the boiler. (Won't be under warranty if no reducer) I like combi mates personally.

Agree with phoenixServices - as he says, it depends on how hard the water is in your area.

Check out this map

If you are in an area over 200 ppm, its a good investment. 150 - 200ppm, then maybe take a chance, but still better to have one. Under 150, you're probably wasting your money.

the cdi classic is a good boiler and worcesters warranty and customer service are great. The installation is very important and needs to be done well otherwise the boiler will have issues no matter what make and model it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Effects of 22mm Hot pipe in pressurised system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock