Search the forum,

Discuss Dripping noise after flushing toilet in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All

I am new to the forum and plumbing issue as we have just moved in to a house.

Details of the house and problem
We have a 2 story house with the on suite upstairs with toilet.

When I flush the toilet and after the water has finished filling up I can hear a drip sound up to about 30sec then it stops.
If I put my ear to the wall\floor I can hear it more clearly.

If I go down stairs and look at the ceiling I don't see any water marks.

Just wondering if there is anything I can do or if I should just get the professional plumber in to investigate it

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Tom

Are you sure the sound is originating outside of the cistern? Try taking the lid off while it is happening to check.

Without flushing, push down the float valve for a couple of seconds and then release it to see if the noise occurs.

Again, without flushing, use a two-gallon bucket to 'manually' flush the pan. Does the dripping noise still occur?

Is the loo supplied from a tank in the roof? If so, are you sure the dripping noise isn't associated with that tank refilling?

It can be quite difficult to localise a dripping noise. Sound doesn't travel in straight lines but bounces around all over the place.

Look round the back of the pan, where it joins the soil pipe.
Thanks for the reply, I did forget to mention that I do live in Australia

I will post a photo tonight when I get home. From how my toilet is connected and also that the toilet pipes go direct in to the floor as it is on the second floor.

Are you sure the sound is originating outside of the cistern? Try taking the lid off while it is happening to check.

Without flushing, push down the float valve for a couple of seconds and then release it to see if the noise occurs.

Again, without flushing, use a two-gallon bucket to 'manually' flush the pan. Does the dripping noise still occur?

Is the loo supplied from a tank in the roof? If so, are you sure the dripping noise isn't associated with that tank refilling?

It can be quite difficult to localise a dripping noise. Sound doesn't travel in straight lines but bounces around all over the place.
Well if I put my ear to the wall on the other side of the bathroom I can hear the dripping sounds, if I put my ear on the Cistern I don't hear it happening from there.
But I will take the lid off tonight and do what you suggested above. Also poor two-gallon of water manually and see if it still happens as well.

I live in Australia so all the house I live in all the water is supplied by the town grid.

I will reply again once I have done the above and let you know the out come.

Thanks for all the feedback
[automerge]1582800898[/automerge]
Look round the back of the pan, where it joins the soil pipe.
Here is a photo of the toilet as u can see it goes direct in to the floor

Attachments

• 66562588-DBCD-4EAB-9AF2-6E53AE9F2104.jpeg
    66562588-DBCD-4EAB-9AF2-6E53AE9F2104.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 13
  • EA2004CE-CE86-4731-9EA3-66485121874D.jpeg
    EA2004CE-CE86-4731-9EA3-66485121874D.jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Hi sorry later reply.
Well poor bucket of water for manual flushing and no dripping sound.
since I post the first post the sound hasn’t come back but I have checked every day.
Just weird.

No guarantee but I think it's very unlikely to be water "leaking out" of the plumbing system if you can't see it at all, even a small amount of water in the wrong place shows itself fairly soon.
If you get someone in they'll probably not do much more than you've done unless you want them to go lifting boards etc. I'd just keep an eye on it.
If it does or doesn't turn out to be something it'll be an insurance job either way.
My 2p

Reply to Dripping noise after flushing toilet in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock