Search the forum,

Discuss Dripping hot water cylinder from upper thermostat... Is it safe? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello

I live in a rented flat and have noticed water dripping from the top thermostat of the water cylinder (see picture).

IMG_20200818_004343~2.jpg

It worries me as there is clearly electric wiring nearby, and also another thermostat at the bottom that the water is dripping towards.

My landlord's plumber is difficult to get to come and have a look but he finally came around on Thursday (after notifying him on the Saturday before). He said he turned down the water temperature and hopefully that should fix it.

Any advice would be welcome, I have stayed up tonight and keep wiping it dry.

Many thanks.

1. Your picture is of the top immersion heater, which does include a thermostat.
2. The cover of the immersion heater is not properly fitted, with wires showing.
3. It should not be dripping, and the water temperature has nothing to do with it.
4. The responsibility for fixing this is your landlord's, not yours. I would suggest:
4a. You contact the landlord in writing (letter, email or text) and tell him / her the top immersion heater in the hot water cylinder is leaking.
4b. Switch the immersion heater off, and tell the landlord that in consequence you have no hot water. It is his / her legal responsibility to ensure you have a hot water supply.
4c. Point out to the landlord that any damage caused by leaking water is entirely his / her responsibility, including flooding of any lower level properties.
4d. Point out that someone (landlord's plumber?) has left the immersion heater in an electrically unsafe condition.
5. If it were me, I'd be tempted to turn it on again from time to time to get a supply of hot water, but that's a risk I'd be prepared to take, you may not be.

Steadyon is bang on and posted that as I was writing similar.
It is an immersion heater and "adjusting the temperature" will do ABSOLUTELY nothing to your problem.
I suggest you find a competent plumber, one who is G3 registered as this is an unvented cylinder and should not be tinkered with by someone not qualified.

Wow, first of all thanks so much for your replies, you have been a great help!

I rang my landlord as soon as I saw your messages and he explained that the guy he sends around isn't qualified and is just a handyman. (Which is annoying as this has been like this for a good week now).

I have switched the boiler off at the wall. My landlord wants to replace the entire boiler, I am going away tomorrow morning but will be back Friday night so i'm hoping this problem is soon sorted.

I am a little worried that he might pick another of his mates to do the job but hopefully it will be someone qualified.

I live in Manchester City Centre and if anyone on here is happy to take the job on I can always pass this on to my landlord (as he did ask me to find someone at first but I said I didn't really know anyone).

Thanks again for all your advice.

Thanks again for your replies.

My landlord found a plumber that is able to examine and rectify the leak. Unfortunately that could be end of next week but I'm willing to wait if it means a proper job is done.

He has suggested his handyman to sort it as he wants it doing ASAP but I am adamant it must be a qualified plumber.

Thanks again.

Thanks again for your replies.

My landlord found a plumber that is able to examine and rectify the leak. Unfortunately that could be end of next week but I'm willing to wait if it means a proper job is done.

He has suggested his handyman to sort it as he wants it doing ASAP but I am adamant it must be a qualified plumber.

Thanks again.

Unvented cylinders are not a joke and can if left in the wrong hands result in serious damage. Stand your ground and insist a qualified engineer attends.

Reply to Dripping hot water cylinder from upper thermostat... Is it safe? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock