Search the forum,

Discuss council reposnsibilities? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KJM72

Anyone know anything about how much responsibility a local Coumcil has on fixing insufficient under street water pipes? I am in a top floor flat with a historical problem of low water pressure (the electric shower stops mid flow, washing machine pauses mid-cycle, and no water from cold taps - all due to low pressure), before I moved in it was invesitigated and the old Victoriam street water pipes were deemed too old to provide adequate pressure now. Scottish Water were going to fix for a contribution from each owner in the building (8 in total) but one owner refused as her water supply id fine!!! So the whole thing got scrapped but I STILL have poor water supply. I don;t see why I should have to fit a water pump, and pay for it when I don;t get an adequate water supply. Does anyone know of the legalities of this? I'd like to rent my flat out but couldn;t with the plumbing problems.

Have you had someone out from the council and shown them the problem? I'd have thought the cost of a remedy is their problem and not yours. Just the age old question of how long will it take them to fix it.

Hi again. Thanks for your replies. No I haven't, but I've been advised to go to my local Councillor and MP. Seems no-one lese os bothering but the flat opposite me has been empty for a year now because of this. They can't get tennants! If you here of anything re this I#d be grateful if you would let me know.

Tenement flats! Never again!

Cheers.

Nothing to do with council, although they may support your case, it is between you and your water company, you need to get them out to survey the problem and push for change, bring in your MP as well.

Well apparently that's not true. The Council do in fact have a duty in this, it's just how much they are willing to spend to solve it. It's a fight between them and Scottish Water basically and I;m stuck in the middle in the mean time. Thanks for you reply though.

Cannt think why your council has anything to do with water supply as the water provider is who you buy it off, and legally they are bound to provide water to you that is of a set quality through suitable pipework. Think your barking up the wrong tree SWW has to provide water at a static head of 7 metres min any less and they start to compensate you, check you local companies website for the rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have already checked into the Scottish Water side of things at great length, which is why I know they fo have SOME obligation to fix. I have confirmed this today, however they need to collaborate with the water company which is where the biggest problem lies.. It's not a straigjt forward case of distances or anounts etc. I will get it sorted I'm sure. I'm not one for letting a problem go unsolved!

There are some words that should never be used in the same sentance, council and reposnsibilities being a very good example

You are in a no win siduation here if you are looking for anyone but yourself to sort this out,get a tank fitted and pump to outlets,then you can rent out and the first bit of rent can go towards cost,then you are in the money and if the flat accross the way has been empty a year for the sake of above works ,the owner wants a maths lesson,coz he has lost alot more than it would have cost to have works done
But if you insist on trying to get the council or water board to do any thing ,we will let you know the result through the local clairvoyant,cos we all will be long gone before that happens in this case
Have come accross the siduation lots in london,with top flats ,pressure poor at the best of times and at peak demand ,non existant :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to council reposnsibilities? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock