Search the forum,

Discuss Cold Radiators Downstairs in the Australia area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I've had this problem for a while. I have a fully pumped system with 3 way divertor valve. I have hot water and hot radiators upstairs. All radiators downstairs are cold (6 rads). A new pump was fitted, I have flushed the system with Sentinel X800 and X400. Also power flushed system. Recently drained down system again, flushed all radiators and opened all valves which flowed freely with hot on oneside and luke warm on other. Fitted a magnetic Boiler Mag filter, refilled system and still hot radiators upstairs but cold downstairs. If there is a solid plug of magnetite in pipes between upstairs and down stairs, how come the water flows freely from both hot and cold feed, but as soon as radiators refilled no heat?

Have you tried turning all the radiators that get hot off upstairs ? to see if the pump can move any trapped air in the downstairs rads ? you can even turn all but one of them off and see if any heat comes through then work through one by one till they all get hot, air is a funny thing and often hard to remove especially in a open vented system the pump may need venting ? you can normally hear air traveling through the system at the pump position if this is the case . Kop

Have you tried turning all the radiators that get hot off upstairs ? to see if the pump can move any trapped air in the downstairs rads ? you can even turn all but one of them off and see if any heat comes through then work through one by one till they all get hot, air is a funny thing and often hard to remove especially in a open vented system the pump may need venting ? you can normally hear air traveling through the system at the pump position if this is the case . Kop
Thanks I’ll give that a try today
[automerge]1572765773[/automerge]
Thanks I’ll give that a try today

Have the downstairs radiators ever worked properly?
Yes. It’s a Potterton Neta Heat boiler and the whole system worked perfectly until a couple of years ago when I started having problems after summer period when central heating was turned on. Hot water runs all year but during summer when C/H not needed thermostat turn right down. It used to work after leaving C/H running for a few hours as if it cleared itself

Have you checked the thermostatic valves pins are not jammed down? If your down stairs are on drops you might find you have to close the hot ones off upstairs and open each one down stairs in succession and close when hot until they all heat.

Have you checked the thermostatic valves pins are not jammed down? If your down stairs are on drops you might find you have to close the hot ones off upstairs and open each one down stairs in succession and close when hot until they all heat.
TRVs are all open as tops removed and pins up. Now got upstairs valves shut off. Pump set to full on and boiler turned up to high. Now getting some heat to 2 small radiators downstairs. Leaving it on for as long as possible with hope it will start to clear blockage

Reply to Cold Radiators Downstairs in the Australia area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was not working. He changed both valves and still the radiator was not working. He put some chemicals in and said it should break up anything that is...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, I woke up this morning with cold water (mains) from downstairs tap but no hot water from downstairs tap, and no water at all from all the upstairs taps, I have a combi boiler and no water storage
Replies
Views
Mike Young
M
I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the flow/return on each radiator so that I can then grab the right pipe to check which heats up first. There has been an extension done on this house at some...
Replies
Views
D
Hi. Turned my heating on for the 1st time today, i bled every radiator as haven't done it since last winter. upstairs worked fine but an hour or 2 later I noticed downstairs was still cold. I looked for some advice online and turned the trv's off and locksheilds for the upstairs only and...
Replies
Views
I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering and showing signs of an air lock. I attached cold mains to a hot tap and left it running for 15 minutes, while opening up each hot tap. They all...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock