Search the forum,

Discuss Changed Shower Head Caused Flood? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ricefran

I'm new to this forum and I thank everyone in advance for any insights..

I'm a tenant living in a house. The landlord lives on the 2nd floor. The main floor is divided into 2 units. I live in one of the units.

Recently the landlord told me about water leak in the other unit and it's probably due to our bathtub problem. The landlord just purchased this house for less than 1 year so he still has warranty from the builder.

Today the builder came and checked the bathtub. He said the leak is caused by the shower head. The shower head is missing a gasket in the junction so it's leaking. We did notice a leak in the junction when we first install it, but we thought it's ok because the water is leaking into the drain anyway.

What I don't understand is how is it possible that a leak in the shower head that goes into the tub would cause water leaking into the other unit? The landlord claims that they pulled the floor up on the other unit because it's all damaged. They said we should tell them about changing the shower head. Now they want us to pay for fixing the floor in the other unit and they haven't collected rent for the whole month.

I'm trying to understand if it's possible that changing a shower head would cause so much damage and whether we are liable for that. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I assume your showerhead is on a hose. Without the washer, water will have run down the back wall and if you have a shower curtain it will have run off the side of the bath and onto the floor. I can't understand however that you have never noticed this. A lot of water can quickly escape this way. Over a sustained period of time, it is quie possible for damage to occur.

However if you have a shower screen then it should have stopped the water and sent it back to the bath.

Last edited:
also if the leak is running down the wall, check that the seal around the bath or tray is in good order.

hmmm

I beg to differ

Without the Hose washer it would drip along the hose to the valve but this should be sealed and all water escape down the drain

Bath curtain should be inside the bath so drips go into bath

Dodgy seal on shower valve and or bath would obviously cause the leak but dont think that would be you fault

Thanks everyone for chipping in some comments, greatly appreciated.

The bath uses screen and I just checked it is sealed.

I suspect maybe the valve and/or the hose was not seal on the back wall. Now I'm wondering if a professional builder should sealed those areas?

I'm still trying to figure out who's liable for what. Thanks again for any help!

you mention a landlord so i imagine you pay rent, its up to the landlord to sort it out for you. he takes your money each month so its up to him to sort out. being his building.

It does sound like the seal behinde the taps has gone. it should have been done when the building was built.

i would have thought that the landlord would be responsible for the upkeep of the rented property.

you mention a landlord so i imagine you pay rent, its up to the landlord to sort it out for you. he takes your money each month so its up to him to sort out. being his building.

It does sound like the seal behinde the taps has gone. it should have been done when the building was built.

OH! There is no seal at all behind the hose and tap. Sounds like I'm not liable at all. I think I can relax for now.

I have a landlord and he wants to resolve this by asking me for money to fix his problem :mad:

i would have thought that the landlord would be responsible for the upkeep of the rented property.

My biggest concern is the money he asks me to pay, not the leaky shower head. He wants me to pay for the floor damage in the other unit because he said I shouldn't have changed the shower head and if I do, I should tell him in advance. He claims because I changed the shower head causing the leak, I'm paying him the cost for changing the floor in the other unit and loss of one month rent.

Last edited by a moderator:
thats why there is a seal behind the taps, incase splashback or for what ever reason. he has no right to charge you for it. check your contract you signed when you took out the lease.

I had a landlord who tried to charge me for damages made by my flat mate after i moved out, he also tried to keep my deposit. dont let your landlord bully you. he takes money from you each month.

I'll have to talk to my landlord about this and post any update here.

Thanks all for the great advices!

Who the f~~~s your landlord? Rigsby? get him to fix and pay for the damage, all youve done is had a shower. If hes still being funny then move.

4335390475_5e13360983_m.jpg

4336136502_0b52b685bc_m.jpg

4335392825_977922f26e_m.jpg

Today I went to the other unit to take some pictures. The floors are pulled up.

The landlord told me water was leaking in the joint (the white part in the picture above) and water travelled up the arm attached on the wall and went inside the wall and to the other unit.

With the original shower head put back on, I asked a friend to splash water to the wall and I was observing in the other unit. Apparently there is no leak..

The water probably went behind the mixer valve which probably isn't sealed properly. Nothing to do with what you have done.

Your landlord is talking rubbish. Even the arm should be sealed where it joins the wall.

Last edited:
Nothing to do woth the shower head, can't happen!

:rolleyes:

id get a local plumber (of your choice he'll no doubt know a few) to come and check it - i cant see how he thinks its your fault, even if you have changed the head - and it has leaked from the join, the back plate for the mixer should of been sealed, he is probably saying its running down the tiles and onto the mixer plate, but a proper installation would of sealed the mixer and it would of run around this into the bath, the whole point of sealing all components on a shower wall is to avoid this scenario.

do not give into him, im fed up of bullying landlords! they buy these houses up cheap, minimum maintenance and try to blame everyone else!!!!

Greatly appreciate everyone's help. This issue is pretty much resolved (on my side). After the builder came to change the original shower head on, water was still leaking. So now the landlord knows it's not because of the shower head. And the builder cut open the tile to fix the problem, so now it looks like this..
4348510656_dca7200d33_m.jpg

The landlord is really a pig. They are a young couple. Actually, the husband is a computer programmer geek, the wife is a pig. When I try to talk to them it's not my fault causing the water leak, the wife brought her computer mic to shower me how it IS possible. I told her I had a plumber checked the problem and he said it's not the shower head. She continued to say it's a slow progress how water leaking out blah blah blah.. Then I only made three statements:
1. I don't agree it is my fault.
2. I will go to court to resolve this matter
3. If I'm not liable in the end, I will sue for losses of enjoyment in life due to her accusation causing stress and related symptoms.

Then as though she got a slap in the face and widen her eyes asking "so your plumber said it's not the shower head?"

Last but not least, thanks everyone's comments. Without the suggestions here I'd be so afraid thinking I might be liable for all this crap. Thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Changed Shower Head Caused Flood? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I recently had a plumber come over to look at a badly leaking shower head. As best I can recall, he described the problem as a crack in the bridge of the cold water pipe and explained that there were two options: 1. Get into the wall with a jackhammer to fix the problem; or 2. Install one of...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
Hello - am hoping someone out there can offer some advice... I've been living in a split level 1st & 2nd floor masionette for two months, which was built in the 60's. Heating is provided via combi boiler. Water for kichen is fed straight from the mains supply (both hot and cold), however, we...
Replies
Views
Situation: Had a boiler system conversion. From Potterton boiler with Gledhill storage tank with on demand hot water to Veissman Combo with on demand hot water. 2 bed semi with only myself and wife living here. Unfortunately used iheat service which has no real customer service. Have had the...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by the survey. I have had loads of plumbers over, and have always carefully checked their reviews/tried to vet them as much as possible. However, I've had...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock