Search the forum,

Discuss CH Noise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BillW

Hello all. Hope someone can help.
Just changed boiler from standard Gloworm to Worcester Bosch 37CDi condensing combi by accredited Worcester engineer. System flushed, kept same rads but he changed all the lockshields and TRVs. All seems ok except when the heating starts I can hear what I can only describe as a low level, irregular and persistent drumming/droning/vibration around the main bedroom and en-suite. With ear to the en-suite rad I can hear what seems to be the same noise, slightly clearer at the top and bottom and a slight vibration. Don't seem to get this from any of the other rads.Bled all the rads but noise still there. Engineer visited but frustratingly said he couldn't hear anything untoward but turned down the boiler pump anyway which made no difference at all. Noise resonance can occasionally be heard above other ambient sounds and is very irritating. Help!!
Cheers
BillW

was the system cleaned and flushed?strange it is only on this one radiator.

faulty trv or rad valve restricted to much what your hearing is numatic noise

Thanks.
Wards: Yes the engineer flushed the system (not power flush, the house is only ten years old). Inhibitor added and a Magnaclean filter built in.

Gas man: So do you think one or both valves are faulty and need replacing? (BTW I did fully open the TRV and opened the lockshield a little more:made no difference). For info as well, the TRV he's put on is a Danfoss bidirectional on the return side. I checked the TRV flow selector - it was facing the correct way: changing it to the other way made no difference either.
Ta
BillW

Turn off the radiator in question, is the noise still there? if it is then its not the radiator or valves on that one, you could do the same thing to other rads and see if the noise stops.
Martin

Thanks Lifes A Gas.
Did as you suggested - turned off all rads one at a time by closing each TRV fully. Waited a minute and when the sound persisted reopened the TRV to its previous position then did the same to the next rad and so on until all 12 rads were done individually. Sound still there as before ie more noticable in main bedroom and en-suite but resonance detectable elsewhere.
As it happens had engineer out again today - he still claims - unbelievably - that he can't hear it but suggested that any sound may be due to the original piping system reacting to the new higher pressure?
Ta
BillW

could be some pipes arent secured properly and are vibrating a bit, try tracing back the noise to its source and see if its the pipes, more likely to be a lockshield closed down to much or a faulty trv as stated previously

Thanks Old Plumber.
Tracing the noise to its source is proving difficult. The en-suite rad appeared to be the source but I've changed it and the noise persists so I'll be looking at the new piping and valves soon.
Ta
BillW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to CH Noise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

W
Hi, I've been having an annoying problem of humming pipes in a house. I've outlined the details below, I've had a plumber round who suggested they couldn't help without hearing the noise, however it isn't constant and mainly comes at night so this is proving impossible. Any advice would be...
Replies
Views
G
I have a 10 year old Worcester-Bosch Greenstar 30 HE combi running 7 radiators in a 3 bedroom semi. All pipework and radiators were new with boiler. Even after putting pressure back up to 1 to 1.5 bar while cold, I find within an hour or so it’s back to zero. The heating system seems to...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
G
I had a new Worcester Bosch 12Ri fitted about 4 months ago. I has been performing fine and my gas bills are a lot less than my old Apollo 15/30b. However over the last few weeks, I have been having gurgling / whoshing noises from the hot water system. The whoshing noise is only there when...
Replies
Views
TheGasEngineer
T
R
Just had a new Potterton combi boiler installed and had the existing radiators single flow TRV’s replaced with bi directional TRV’s (one rad left without a TRV as per norm). When the heating reaches a specific setting one of the rads emits a vibrating hydro phonic noise which can be stopped by...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, My central heating system is quite noisy at times. The noise is a whooshing-type noise and seems to be present throughout the pipes and radiators. The boiler is a Baxi combi boiler and is fairly new (less than a year old). General info about the system: The pipes start off at 22mm then...
Replies
Views
Billy Bob Bob
B
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock