Search the forum,

Discuss Central heating system - advice requested in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Borgia

Hi

I have an approximately fifteen year old Glowworm Hideaway 80B with a F&E cistern in the loft, and have been having problems that I cannot get to the bottom of.

The issue is that heating only turns on if the hot water is turned off and then on again in a certain order (and only if there is cold water to heat in the hot water tank). Otherwise, the boiler switches on and then off again.

I have had two plumbers over - one local and BG - both have said that it is probably a valve issue, and the BG said that my system is blocked with sludge and needs to be power flushed, but really I should replace the whole system despite the boiler working. I have a couple of questions which I would welcome advice on:

1. If the system is completely blocked with sludge, why would it work when the hot water is turned off and on in the manner that I have described?
2. Assuming that it is not blocked, can it be resolved by using a product like Senintel 400 to remove the sludge?
3. If Sentintel 400 is used, does the system need to be drained before people can use the water - e.g. to shower/drink?

I would appreciate any help because I keep getting told different things and really do not want to replace a system unless absolutely necessary!

Thank you,

David

From what I`ve read that`s a typical BG Powerflush solves all problems response.

And welcome to the forum Borgia.

If you called British Gas out to a faulty cooker, they would want to powerflush your central heating.

It the equivalent of going to the doctor and him telling you to drink less, eat healthier and get more exercise, without even seeing you.

Hi thank you for the welcome and the response. Can I allude from your skepticism that proceeding as I have suggested may be worthwhile?

We need more info... What controls do you have?

2 port, 3 port, cylinder thermostat, what sort of programmer... Does not sound sludge related, but controls!!

Have you checked the water level in the small tank ? is your system fully pumped ?

seems you have trouble with the controls on ye system and probably have a pump over problem to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Central heating system - advice requested in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
I have flushed a CH system removed each Rad and removed any residue of black sludge filled the system up and treated with inhibitor. However after 2 days the water in the Overhead tank is gone red. The Ground floor rads are piping hot and the upstairs are Luke warm bleed the rads still no joy...
Replies
Views
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help me with below issue. During winter time only, I have been having issue with low pressure or pressure dropping with unvented hot water cylinder system. During summer time there is no usage of central heating so the pressure at unvented system is not...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some urgent advice. I've Just come home after going out for evening, to discover hallway floor and kitchen floor covered in water. On further inspection I discovered that water was coming from boiler cupboard. On looking in boiler cupboard I found boiler has started leaking water...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this could be as a result of us noticing the sound more when there is less environmental noise). Unfortunately, it is severely disrupting our sleep, so we...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock