Search the forum,

Discuss cast iron downpipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plamber

evening all,

Got a bit of a dilema, a van(not mine!) hit a cast downpipe. the owner wants me to replace it in plastic. the problem is there is only about 10mm to 15mm of cast pipe above ground for me to play with. and not enought room for a cast coupling either.

My idea is to silicone a plastic lose socket upside down onto the cast pipe. not ideal but i cant think of anything else.

Also, what is the best sealant to use on cast downpipes as ive had very little experience with them.

thanks

Hi, Dig/ chop out area around pipe and locate a socket, as it enters drain. Remove and install new.

hi justlead1, the thing is it goes into a area that i can dig out, into a single row of cobles and road. its down a little city centre lane.

get out a ground work team who have a permit and insurance to carryout the hole making in roads etc to allow you to do your bit properly and get the owner to claim off the van drivers insurance

Hi. If its a lane with history and is architecturally pleasing. Replacing with cast iron may be better than bits of plastic strapped to the wall?

Hi!

I would ask if your allowed to do it first?

If its a conservation area you will probably be asked to replace like for like.

Plastic at low level is not the best on a public access route, it can be affected by UV over time, becoming brittle, anybody knocking it with a pram or shopping trolley could shatter it quite easily, if it does shatter it may cause a Health and Safety risk.

I would cover yourself and try to protect the public as much as possible by asking the local council. There is a duty of care on everybody, by asking the council you are probably partly discharging that.

Also it has to be born in mind that any internal fitting will reduce the bore of the down pipe and effect the drainage flow.
Its okay going into a wider pipe, but I would say there is some doubt about reducing into a smaller pipe.
Rainfall in the UK seems to be increasing not reducing or at least the downpours we seem to be getting seem to be heavier, would a reduced bore pipe cope with the added demand?

Last edited by a moderator:
hi guys, i managed to get it sorted today. with a fancy fiiting plumbcentre had.

Its not a listed area. its on the side of a mechanics garage. i think he was the one who smashed anyway. thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to cast iron downpipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

W
Hi fellow plumbers. Could anyone tell me the best way to cut and remove a cast iron soil pipe so that i can replace it with a plastic one.
Replies
Views
A
Hi all Ive got a customer who has a problem with some guttering. The guttering side of it isnt a problem, its just the downpipe that needs replacing. The downpipe is cast iron, and is badly corroded at the bottom of the pipe where it goes into the ground. Im going to need to remove the...
Replies
Views
andyb
A
S
ok so heres the layout, 3 storey building comprising of a shop (ground floor) and 2 storey maisonette above, the cast iron waste goes through the lot but is only for the maisonette. i need to install a basin on the 1st floor and a shower, basin and toilet on the second floor. 2 options as far as...
Replies
Views
dontknowitall
D
Only done one full bathroom to date. Went well but obviously being my first took it out of me a bit. Got possible 2nd one to quote on shortly. She says there's a cast iron bath to remove. Dealt with one of these before with one of the guys I worked with. Was a case of.. gloves on, goggles on...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm Jack (54) this is my first post. I served my apprenticeship in the shipyards of Glasgow a number of years ago, but was out the trade for a while. Having never really dealt with the domestic side I have retrained with a distance learning course. Can anybody help me regarding connecting...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock