Search the forum,

Discuss Can't find top-up for sealed system! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stickybloke

Hi folks - I'm new to the forum and have just registered as I'm seeking help with the sealed central heating system in a house I've recently started renting. The system is powered by an oil-fired Trianco Eco Combi 90 boiler.

Basically, the radiators at the top of the house became cold whilst I was away and my wife bled them not realising it was a sealed system. The system pressure is now down to about 0.5 bar and I can't find the point to top up the system. There is nothing obvious anywhere in the house; the only possibility is a braided house with a straight-screw valve at each end that taps off the mains supply at the top of the boiler (see picture below). Does anyone know (educated guess even!) if this is the top up for such a system??

boiler.jpg

Thanks in advance! The house is freezing at the moment :rolleyes:

Hi folks - I'm new to the forum and have just registered as I'm seeking help with the sealed central heating system in a house I've recently started renting. The system is powered by an oil-fired Trianco Eco Combi 90 boiler.

Basically, the radiators at the top of the house became cold whilst I was away and my wife bled them not realising it was a sealed system. The system pressure is now down to about 0.5 bar and I can't find the point to top up the system. There is nothing obvious anywhere in the house; the only possibility is a braided house with a straight-screw valve at each end that taps off the mains supply at the top of the boiler (see picture below). Does anyone know (educated guess even!) if this is the top up for such a system??

boiler.jpg

Thanks in advance! The house is freezing at the moment :rolleyes:

yes this is the top up for system use a flat headed screwdriver to turn the ballafix valves to the on position these are the valves attached to the hose the one on the left is the cold main ensure you turn both valves off after u top the system up...
to turn a ballafix on and off take not of were the slot is on the cold main and when you are turning off put back to the same position.
hope this helps

yes this is the top up for system use a flat headed screwdriver to turn the ballafix valves to the on position these are the valves attached to the hose the one on the left is the cold main ensure you turn both valves off after u top the system up...
to turn a ballafix on and off take not of were the slot is on the cold main and when you are turning off put back to the same position.
hope this helps
and fill to 1-1.5 bar when cold

Cheers guys - appreciate the help. Have repressurised the system to 1 bar although I didn't wait until it was cold...oops.
Pressure creeps up a bit when the thermostat turns the pump/boiler off. There's a red pressure release valve (I assume) marked "3 bar". Am I right in thinking this is the pressure that the valve will automatically discharge at? If I want to drop the system pressure does this valve also operate as a release tap? (it's knurled so I'm guessing so...). It's the red knob in the picture, between and below the tips of the two red arrows.
Sorry for all the biff questions but plumbing disasters only ever happen at night/the most awkward time!

You can use it as a release tap to depressurise the system-however if any crud gets to the seal they tend to leak, which causes loss of pressure, which prevents boiler from operating effectively and also causes the need to keep topping up thus introducing oxygenated water into the system, which aint good for it.
I'd find a drain valve on one of the rads stick a hose to it and do it that way. Takes a bit longer but is no problem.
May be wise to get local plumber to do it and also check system over for good measure. If ur renting it out and is an income for you it will pay you to have it running at its best to keep tenant happy- Shouldn't cost much.

what you mean the pressure release valve with the by law breaking plastic pipework taking it to a probable by law breaking discharge point,would not open that if I was you or will not re seal correctly,release extra pressure through drain cock or rad vent onto old towel
Also looks like no non return valve fitted to filling loop,saves on iron tablets,holland and barrets profits will be down though :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Also looks like no non return valve fitted to filling loop,saves on iron tablets,holland and barrets profits will be down though :)

You know that!

You know that!:D

Last edited by a moderator:
:D:D:D

Noted re the plastic pipework - must say it does all look a bit Heath Robinson under the top cover! :) As for the NRV on the loop I did wonder if the valve under the right hand arrow was one; looks a bit bigger/different to all the others there)

Think I might do the common sense thing and get a plumber in! Now then, can anyone recommend someone round Cirencester (Wilts) way?? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can't find top-up for sealed system! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Can anyone help me identify which tap/connection it is to top up the system as the level has dropped quite a way below the red marker for the cold fill pressure on the gauge? Boiler was installed approx. 2014. I've looked in the manual & online but can't find anything. Many thanks
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that has previously been extended. In one of the bedrooms that has been extended there are 2 radiators, one which looks like it was fitted when the...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by saying I'd rather not read 100 "Hire a professional comments", I will do that when/if it comes to it, but I'd like to do it myself if possible. All images for system here: https://*********/a/ngPQkre Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
Context for issue: Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler shorted somehow, the boiler was then running WAY too hot and ended up blowing/melting a hole in one of the pipes. I repaired this by putting in a new stretch of pipe in and just connecting it to the existing pipes with two...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock