Search the forum,

Discuss Can you use a combi as a conventional boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

M&W

Hello all. Im new to the forum and what im wondering is. Can you use a combi boiler as a conventional boiler?

Its a oil fired grant floor standing. non condensing combi boiler. The customer wants to start a B&B but doesn't have the money to convert the system from combi to unvented due to the fact she would have to buy a new cylinder and new boiler. I was just wondering if you could convert it. I thought if i capped the hot and switched it of at the boiler/programmer. Could you then use the heating flow and return as a primary flow and return?

For clarification ,are you saying you do not want to use the instant hot water side of the boiler,just the flow and return for heating and cylinder supplied hot water ?

All I want the boiler for is the flow and return. These would then go to the cylinder via, auto bypass, two two port valves, one for heating one for hot water pressurised cylinder la la la. Do you get what I mean.

All I want the boiler for is the flow and return. These would then go to the cylinder via, auto bypass, two two port valves, one for heating one for hot water pressurised cylinder la la la. Do you get what I mean.

Yes I do now and there is no reason why not to do as you say,splitting heating circuit into heating and hot water circuits

You could also consider maybe just using the instant hot water side to supply kitchen or laundry room,if hot water draw off from cylinder far away
:)

dont think you can cap off the hot, pretty sure you need at least one outlet, due to the expansion in the pipework, mind you it was ten years ago when i was at college, so i maybe wrong:confused:

depends what you mean by conventional some you can use as a sytem boiler
yes you can do that just dont connect the main or as said use it for one or two drawofs
just be carefull how you wire it you will need to run switch lines from combi through the aux switches on motorised valves as its possible to wire out certain safety features on the combi which work by cutting the feed to the line out

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can you use a combi as a conventional boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from the loft water reservoir tank (which also feeds the cold water taps in the bathroom & the WC cistern). There is an expansion vessel attached to this...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
L
Hey everyone, I'll keep it short. Had our old system boiler replaced with a new Ideal system boiler set up. Then the problems began. First issue was the pump went faulty, so the pump was replaced. This then led to a new issue coming up where the central heating would work, but not the hot...
Replies
Views
Hi,a customer of mine has a combi boiler and they don't have an expansion vessel for the potable hot water supply. I know there's an expansion vessel for the closed-loop central heating circuit but I doubt the combi boiler has one for the potable water. I was thinking to put one in the airing...
Replies
Views
We need an urgent advice, we have a gravity water system and we are in a middle of loft conversion. We are adding an en-suit in loft and prefer to have a good water pressure there. What we want, is to either be able to run multiple showers at once, or if one person is having a shower, other...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock