Search the forum,

Discuss Can a new boiler be fitted entirely from the inside? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having scaffolding go up at the rear of the property where I live this Summer for redecorating works and a heating engineer from British Gas suggested that I have a new boiler fitted in my flat at the same time (even though the existing Vaillant one is fine) because he says that if the existing one breaks and they stop making parts, I'll have to go to the expense of having scaffolding put up in order to have the new boiler fitted. He said that while British Gas stipulate access to the outside of the building in order to check the integrity of the hole that that is drilled, most other plumbers will happily fit a new boiler entirely from the inside. I was just wondering if that's true and what people's view on that is? I'd rather not go to the expense of having anew boiler, but at the same time, if scaffolding really is necessary, maybe I should think about having it done at the same time as the decorating. I'm not sure how old the existing boiler is, but it's probably at least 15 years old.

How high up is the flue / what floor are you on

But mostly yes the new boiler can be fitted from inside

I agree get it changed at the same time 15 years is a good run , you will get a better job with your installer working on a safe scaffold. Cheers kop

It's second floor but pretty high up from the rear elevation - at least 35ft. And the scaffold needs to go through the ground floor flat so will cost around £2,000

Is access to the rear necessary so that the hole can be sealed with silicone/render to prevent water getting in?

Normally just a rubber seal that can be pushed from the inside (hole might need to be recut larger) but not really a problem

Upto you tbh bath

You need to be certain that it is agreed in advance, and in writing, that the scaffolding will be available for use by people not employed by the decorating firm. I had this recently where I'd hoped to use the decorators scaffolding but was told their insurance didn't cover it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can a new boiler be fitted entirely from the inside? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock