Search the forum,

Discuss Can a conventional system boiler be a closed system? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

As per the title?

I've only ever seen domestic system/conventional system boilers with an F&E tank and combi boilers which are closed systems.

Is there any reason a system boiler cant have an expansion vessel fitted and be made a closed system?

Or

Is there any reason you couldn't install a combi with an open vent/F&E?

The following applies to the UK and its regulations:
1. You can have sealed systems with combi (always sealed), system boilers or open vent boilers provided the manufacturer allows this - these days they nearly all do.
2. You can't really run a combi boiler off an F&E tank, as the pressure is unlikely to be sufficient to pressurise the system. Also, you'd lose the benefit of mains pressure hot and cold.

You would need to consult the manufacturers installation manual for that particular boiler.
I have seen all manner of configurations over the years but the manufacturer is the place to start if you're thinking of altering or installing something.

1. You can have sealed systems with combi (always sealed), system boilers or open vent boilers provided the manufacturer allows this - these days they nearly all do.
2. You can't really run a combi boiler off an F&E tank, as the pressure is unlikely to be sufficient to pressurise the system. Also, you'd lose the benefit of mains pressure hot and cold.

Hadn't thought of the system pressure, that makes sense with a combi.
[automerge]1597826034[/automerge]
You would need to consult the manufacturers installation manual for that particular boiler.
I have seen all manner of configurations over the years but the manufacturer is the place to start if you're thinking of altering or installing something.

It was more out of curiosity as a newbie, @stedysons comment on pressure makes sense with the combi.

As per the others a consultation with the manufacturer would be a worth while chat. This is an extract from the Intergas (Netherlands based) eco rf30 manual which gives different configurations:

Attachments

• D53A57C6-08D9-4FF0-946B-079B845C1A20.jpeg
    D53A57C6-08D9-4FF0-946B-079B845C1A20.jpeg
    26.4 KB · Views: 5

Why does a combi boiler require pressure to operate yet a system boiler doesn't?

Is this a protection mechanism or is it designed to increase the boiling point of the heating medium?

Why does a combi boiler require pressure to operate yet a system boiler doesn't?

System boilers do require pressure to operate, it’s heat only/open vent boilers that do not. A sealed system only gets rid of the feed and expansion cistern in the loft. It can be fed onto a gravity hot water system or an unvented cylinder.

Reply to Can a conventional system boiler be a closed system? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock