Search the forum,

Discuss Calling Viessmann Experts: Flow Switch in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CMairiD

The situation:

One of the first versions of Viessmann Vitoden 100 18kW regular boiler, powering ten rads in a two down, three up home. The boiler struggles to heat the home (when it's working) and the rads appear appropriately sized.

Three times in the last nine months our engineers have had to go out and clear the flow switch. The last time I saw the boiler in this state, the burner was cycling on/off and the boiler couldn't get above 60C over 45 minutes of calling for 30C heat.

Engineer came the same day, cleared the flow switch and heating returned to it's semi-working condition -- meaning the rads don't get as hot as you'd expect.

When the engineers clear the flow switch, they are removing black, sludgy like stuff. Given the rad temperature and black gunk, you might think the system's sludged up and in need a jolly good clean. Well, I was with an engineer this evening, we drained some of the system into the kitchen sink and the water was clear as mains. Even used a Magnaclean test stick and minute amount of metal was was attracted.

The pump was changed this evening for a larger one which appears to have fixed the issue with the rads not heating up properly, but I am still very concerned about this flow switch and the black gunk.

Where's it coming from because it appears we have a clean system? Has anyone seen this on Viessmann boilers?

The kicker? This is not the only Viessmann we have that is displaying these symptoms, so trust me any advice you can provide would be much appreciated.

yes I have seen this problem a few times ,it is due to dirt in the system and cannot be anything else , to prove a point remove the worst rad and you should get a nice bit of crude out

They changed the flow switch to a Grundfos Vortex [DLMURL="http://net.grundfos.com/doc/webnet/directsensors/int/sensor_technology.html"]Grundfos Direct Sensors - Sensor technology[/DLMURL] on the Mk II 100 series which is esp resistant to clogging, So it must have been a weak spot, the MKII has a completely different all Grunfos Hydroblock.

Last edited by a moderator:
very interesting blackcatgas , i have had numerous problems with the old vitodens but know if your engineers have been out 3 times and they are getting dirt on the switch ,it requires a powerflush as the rads are not heating up as you say semi working ,good luck,

gasmarc, I take you point; everything screamed sludge in the system until I saw with my own eyes that the system water was clear. Checked at the drain-off on the flow from the boiler and again at the pump location when the pump was changed to a larger one which is now heating the all the rads to a suitable temperature.

Spoke to the last engineer that cleared the flow switch and he describes the stuff as a grey graphite-like substance, not the muck that usually comes out of a powerflush.

So since we appear to have this mystery substance that's not sticking to a magnet, what about going for the Magnaclean TwinTech rather than the normal Magnaclean?

that does sound abit odd ,but the switch would either fail or a blockage due to dirt in the water, yes i think your suggestion is the way forward make sure its put on the return though lol we dont want another flow switch failing,good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Calling Viessmann Experts: Flow Switch in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock