Search the forum,

Discuss Boosting Water Pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
I have just had a bathroom installed on the third floor of the house in a room which used to be a bedroom. The problem is, the water pressure/flow isn't very consistent. Its acceptable sometimes and we get flow rates of about 10-15 l/min but at other times it drops down to about 5l/min or cuts out completely for a few seconds. Even if no one else in the house is using it! The water main is 15mm and comes in through the basement before having to travel up to the third floor. We don't have any stored hot water either, just a combi boiler.

I've had a look online and found booster pump systems advertised on various sites. Would installing a pump and cold water storage tank in the basement help? The look a bit pricey but if they will do the job and provide us with constant water, it would be worthwhile.

First, have you had your static pressure checked? Second, is your incoming main independent or do you share it with your neighbour.

Accumulators can work very well for two or three storey properties - but (in my experience) they need to be designed for the specific installation. Be wary of mains flow pumps ( pumps that suck on the mains). In my area ( Thames Water) they are very quick to ask you to remove it or to fit a limiting valve downstream of your meter when the neighbours complain!!

First, have you had your static pressure checked? Second, is your incoming main independent or do you share it with your neighbour.
Hi, I've not checked the static pressure but will do once I've got my hands on a gauge. The mains pipe entering the house is independent from the neighbour but I'm assuming the actual main in the road is shared by many properties. The pressure has been much worse the last few weeks with the warmer weather - I'm assuming people are showering more, washing their cars and watering the plants...

There are by law compliant booster pumps I have fitted grundfos ones. Its all very well robbing your neighbours water until the whole road get one each and its back to square one.
Old fashioned high level intermediate cold water storage is the best option...its called a cold water tank. and been around for 1000's of years
Rob Foster

Perhaps you will need an mains upgrade 15mm does not sound big enough. Usually people with 2/3 bathrooms will have a new water mains laid of 32mm.

Be wary of mains flow pumps ( pumps that suck on the mains). In my area ( Thames Water) they are very quick to ask you to remove it or to fit a limiting valve downstream of your meter when the neighbours complain!!
Any boosting of the water supplies (either directly or indirectly) is notifiable to your local Water Undertaker if the pump is capable of delivering more than 12L/M, which is why the there are a number on the market that are WRAS approved for direct connection to the mains & restricted to this when the pump is running.
Although under the Water Act the Undertaker can get way with supply you with less I would think you would all have a very good argument that the street main was undersized if it can't deliver at least this.

I've not checked the static pressure but will do once I've got my hands on a gauge.
Mains Water Pressure Test Gauge 11 Bar
The pressure has been much worse the last few weeks with the warmer weather - I'm assuming people are showering more, washing their cars and watering the plants...
It is the garden watering that does it......

If you think you can live with 12L/M (& that maybe around the maximum your combi can deliver you with hot water). Then the direct pumps are a cheap option if not then, as others have said, it is either accumulation which will be limited to the mains maximum pressures or a break tank & booster pump to store enough water to iron out the peaks & troughs on the mains (just as we have done for years) but by fitting a pump to increase the pressure & therefore the flow rate though-out the house.
A good starting point is to check & monitor the pressure at a garden tap (if you have one) through out the day but especially first thing in the morning. Don't forget you will loose 1bar for every 10Metres the water has to go up the building.
Please remember the system is Notifiable to your water supplier (Undertaker) before work starts & putting a pump set in a basement will have lots of issues so please seek professional advice.
With all due respect this is not for the Keen DIYer.

Last edited:
Mains Water Pressure Test Gauge 11 Bar

It is the garden watering that does it....

If you think you can live with 12L/M (& that maybe around the maximum your combi can deliver you with hot water). Then the direct pumps are a cheap option if not then, as others have said, it is either accumulation which will be limited to the mains maximum pressures or a break tank & booster pump to store enough water to iron out the peaks & troughs on the mains (just as we have done for years) but by fitting a pump to increase the pressure & therefore the flow rate though-out the house.
A good starting point is to check & monitor the pressure at a garden tap (if you have one) through out the day but especially first thing in the morning. Don't forget you will loose 1bar for every 10Metres the water has to go up the building.
Please remember the system is Notifiable to your water supplier (Undertaker) before work starts & putting a pump set in a basement will have lots of issues so please seek professional advice.
With all due respect this is not for the Keen DIYer.
Hi, thank you for your reply. I will measure the water pressure throughout the day and see what kind of pressures we're getting now.

Besides noise and having to keep the supply clean for potable water, what other issues would a break tank and boost pump create? Also, with an accumulator, that's just a big pressure vessel, right? I don't think that would solve the issue as the water pressure at the top floor is definitely greatly reduced compared to the ground floor

Drainage is one thing often forgotten.
As in having a drain off for the tank? Or do you mean making sure each waste outlet in the house can handle any increase in flow? The latter is not an issue.

I know you advised I get a pro in but it doesn't look that difficult if I did have a go myself after getting approval from the water board. The biggest risks I see is making sure the tank doesn't get contaminated, making sure the current pipework can handle any increase in pressure and making sure there's no backflow to the mains or to the tank.

Thanks

As in having a drain off for the tank? Or do you mean making sure each waste outlet in the house can handle any increase in flow? The latter is not an issue.
I know you advised I get a pro in but it doesn't look that difficult if I did have a go myself after getting approval from the water board. The biggest risks I see is making sure the tank doesn't get contaminated, making sure the current pipework can handle any increase in pressure and making sure there's no backflow to the mains or to the tank.
Thanks
It was the former, if your basement doesn't have drainage & the float valve in the break tank overflows (or there is a leak) then your basement fills up with water, with the possibility that the AA or AB Air Gap is breached & the mains is put real risk of contamination for which you would be held fully accountable.

There are lots of plumbing jobs that a competent DIYer can tackle & for which I/we will happily give advise but trust me this isn't one of them!! You need the services of an Approved Plumber who has undertaken the Water Regs course & understands it's requirements.
It is most likely that when you give notice your undertaker will want to come see the finished job & any breaches of the Regulations in the property & you will be handed an improvement notice as a minimum, giving you 21days to correct these at your cost.

I thoroughly recommend these wee inline booster pumps to increase the flow rate to individual appliances and despite the name are not just designed for showers. They are only 12v and are very quiet. They can be fitted to the mains.

The Shower Power Booster | Get the Perfect Shower | Inline Pump

I used one of those once to pump water to an electric shower which had turned out to be fed from a header tank rather than the mains, it worked really well.

Reply to Boosting Water Pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Background I have a small one-bedroom flat in the roof space in a victorian house. There are three floors below and each floor has a single one-bedroom flat. The mains pipe bringing water into my top-floor flat is 15mm copper pipe. There is a water meter in the flat and a stop valve. There is...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the cause. I would like a flow rate of about 12L/min. Here is my set-up: Standard gas boiler (not a combi) in the kitchen, have cold water tanks in the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
I have just had a boiler, hot water tank and power shower pump replaced on advice by my plumber. I have two separate boilers, heat/hotwater systems in the house. This boiler was replaced by a combi boiler as it only heats the lounge and master bed and provides hot water to en-suite bathroom and...
Replies
Views
I live most of the year on a tiny Caribbean island with no mains water. I collect rain in a 25,000 gallon cistern which is then pumped to the taps. But the house is build against a hill top. My water system is as illustrated below enabling the domestic water and garden irrigation to be served...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock